How to survive living in a sorority house

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

The women of Delta Gamma just got to move into their beautiful new house, but women in other houses on campus have already spent a few weeks getting acclimated to their new surroundings. For the SMU women who are living in their sorority house this year, or for those who want to in the coming years, there are a few things you should know.

Living in a sorority house is a never-ending adventure. The no pants and no bra rule runs rampant, girls will always be crowded around the TV screaming about the latest episode of the “Bachelor” or “Project Runway,” and someone in the house is always digging through someone else’s closet to borrow clothes. I’ve been lucky enough to live in my sorority house for over two years; so I’ve gotten to learn the ins and outs of how the house works. Here is my advice for living with 30+ of your sorority sisters.

Courtesy of Facebook

You will have no privacy

Whether you just broke up with your boyfriend, got a new job, or were the girl who went to hard last night, everyone will know. Its shocking how fast news flies through the house. Remember to laugh it off though. These girls aren’t laughing at you or talking behind your back, they are your sisters and do care. Its also nice to have dozens of people who are willing to go with you to get ice cream or blackball the jerk that broke your heart. Never again will he get with anyone from your house because you have a posse that just took him down. They will be there to pick you up when you fall and celebrate your victories with you.

You wont get anything done

Getting all your schoolwork done will be even harder this year. Why study when you can watch movie marathons or go grab drinks with your friends? Studying in the house can be hard, especially if you can’t tune out background noise, like the TV or the latest gossip. “Your little hooked up with him? How scandalous!” Find somewhere to study, whether it is Fondren or a cute coffee shop around campus. The house is a great place to socialize, but not so great if you need to be productive.

You will become incredibly social

With new people coming in and out everyday visiting your housemates, you’re going to meet so many new people. You’re also going to meet everyone who lives in the house, their little, big, parents and everyone they are friends with. Not to mention that you will always have someone to go with to Uptown or this weeks theme party. Clear your calendar because you’re about to become a social butterfly.

Courtesy of Facebook

Not everyone will get along

Not everyone will always get along, but that’s life. Girls will be stressed or hormonal and get into tiffs. Thats normal, especially when dozens of girls live under one roof. Just because you’re sisters doesn’t mean you will always get along perfectly. Be aware of other people around you and learn to be pleasant. Living in the house is a great opportunity to learn how to be cordial to people you interact with on a daily basis. A year in the house will be all the prep you need to succeed socially in the work place or the business world. 

Learn to live with others

Whether that means doing your laundry at a certain time that may not be as convenient for you, or sharing your clothes with a girl you don’t know well; learn how to live with others. Some elements of living with dozens of girls won’t be fun, but the pros out way the cons. Just remember to respect the areas of the house that are communal and don’t forget to unplug your straightener in the bathroom.

More then anything else, living in a sorority house will be the highlight of your college years. The friendships and memories you will make will last a lifetime. I can’t even imagine what it will be like to move out and only have one roommate, instead of 30. I would encourage everyone to live in their sorority house because it will be one of the best decisions you’ll make while you’re in college.

CarleeAnn Allen is a senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in Journalism and Psychology. Between finding new places to eat and pretending she has her life together, she enjoys taking naps and being active in her sorority.
We are the SMU Team.