How Rupi Kaur’s “Milk and Honey” Can Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Photo by Kaitlyn Wardrup 

As a person who struggled internally throughout high school, this book spoke to me. I bought “Milk and Honey” my junior year of high school at a time when I thought I knew exactly who I was and what I wanted. I was wrong.

As my life progressed, I slowly began to lose sight of myself. I didn’t know how to handle problems, and I couldn’t control my emotions— because I had forgotten who I was and how to deal with life events. I had become clouded by what I thought high school was supposed to look like. I would fill my calendar with parties and social events because I thought that in order to like myself, I had to raise my social status. I was wrong.

I was 16 and stuck between who I was and who I thought I wanted to be. It wasn’t until I took a step back and reevaluated my life that I started to come back to myself. In times that I felt like I couldn’t talk to anyone or that I felt like no one would listen, I read “Milk and Honey.” This book taught me that it is okay to second guess yourself. It is okay to change yourself to figure out who you are. And it is okay to be that person, no matter who might disapprove.

The decision to bring this book to college with me was one that I will never regret. I often find myself flipping through the pages, reading random poems, and finding one that fits my life in this very second. I have determined that Rupi Kaur is basically everyone’s older sister to go to when you’re in need of great advice and endless comforting words. She makes her readers feel like they are never alone, and that things will get better no matter what the problem is.

Rupi Kaur taught me to pinpoint what was causing me to feel emotions, because whether I am happy or sad, there is always a spark that lit that fire within me. She taught me that self-love is the best and most important form of love. She taught me to make mistakes because that is how people learn. She taught me that I am both strong and beautiful, and no one could ever take that away from me.

If you haven’t read Rupi Kaur’s “Milk and Honey” yet, I strongly encourage you buy it as soon as possible. If you have read it, read it again. It’s too good to be sitting on your shelf. 

My personal favorite poem:

“It takes grace to remain kind in cruel situations”

Want more from HCSMU? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest 

Kaitlyn is currently a freshman at Southern Methodist University studying Advertising and Fashion Media. She is from San Diego, California where she spends the majority of her free time driving down the coast. Her hobbies include trying new beauty products, finding the best Mac & Cheese, and petting every dog she crosses paths with. 
We are the SMU Team.