How to Celebrate Hanukkah in Dallas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Hanukkah is here! Don’t know much about it? Check out my article, “Your Guide to Hanukkah.” If you’ve ever been curious about how Jews celebrate this holiday, look no further! This article is your one-stop-shop for all things Hanukkah in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Hanukkah starts the evening of December 2 (Jewish holidays start at sunset) and ends the evening of December 10. Jewish people all over Dallas will be busy making latkes (potato pancakes), jelly donuts, spinning dreidels and lighting their Hanukkah menorahs.

If you’ve never had a latke, a jelly donut or spun a dreidel, here’s your chance.

Jews have the tradition of placing Hanukkah menorahs in their windowsills for the whole world to see, and some synagogues and organizations put up giant Hanukkah menorahs in plazas, storefronts, and parks for the same reason.

32-foot-tall Hanukkah Menorah in front of Dallas Jewish Community Center. Photo courtesy of D Magazine

If you want to watch them light these menorahs, there is a great website with a guide to all the lightings around the city. Don’t worry, everyone can go and celebrate together, or just observe.

NorthPark Center, Galleria Mall, Frisco Town Square, Southlake Town Square and Tom Thumb at Preston & Forest all put up big menorahs, if you want to see them. Check out this website for all the times and dates so you can see for yourself.

If you don’t care to see the menorahs and just want to eat (which is totally understandable because the food is DELICIOUS!), I’ve got you covered too.

I’ve run some taste tests on the best latkes (fried potato pancakes) in the city and here are my favorites:

1. Cindi’s Deli at 75 & Royal
  2. Whole Foods, in the prepared food section (it surprised me too)
  3. The Bronx Café (I’ve never been there, but I hear they rock)
  4. My mom’s kitchen (I’ll be taking orders) – obviously the best in the city

Now for the best jelly donuts (I know most places sell these year-round, but there’s something about eating them when they are supposed to be eaten – like Turkey on Thanksgiving):

1. Krispy Kreme
  2. Tom Thumb
  3. Kiss Donut (Haven’t tried these, but again, it got great reviews)
  4. Israel (a long shot, but if you’re going there in December, you have to try one)

If you love Hanukkah decorations like I love Christmas lights, here are a few stores to check out:

1. Lone Star Judaica
  2. The Source Gift Shop at the Jewish Community Center
  3. Bed, Bath, & Beyond

If you love Jewish and/or Israeli food, here’s the best in Dallas:

1. Milk & Honey
  2. Aderet Restaurant
  3. Sababa Restaurant (it’s not Israeli, but it’s Middle Eastern, so you’ve got the same basics)

Happy Hanukkah, collegiettes!

Dalya is a senior at SMU studying Advertising and Jewish Studies. She is President of Advertising Club and Associate Editor of Her Campus SMU and is the social media coordinator for Intergem Fine Jewelry at Dallas Market Center. She is a proud born and bred Texan, an amatuer foodie, and takes her coffee black. 
We are the SMU Team.