This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Some key advice I’ve received and learned through experience: if it takes you less than 10 minutes to do, don’t put it off. And don’t forget to schedule “you-time” in your day. Yes, we literally have to intentionally take time to rest sometimes. Try one of these each day of this last week of classes to add some “zen” to your life. You will find it more beneficial than you know if you’ve never tried. It’s a chaotic time, and exams are coming up. We can remain calm by adding one of these, or something of the like, to our days. Each of these methods are time-friendly and a simple addition of peace that “Lord knows” we all need. Time for ourselves is necessary to recharge. The long-term benefits of zen and relaxation make this list (and any other brief opportunity) a no-brainer.

1. Organize/prepare for your week. Schedule, sticky notes, a good quote for the week will equip you for times of distress and more.
  2. Get a massage. It may be pricey, but may be very well worth it too.
  3. Try an SMU yoga class. Meditation while being involved, perfect balance and hang out if you can’t step away from your social life. (Rumor has it the noon class M/W/F is free to students).
  4. Sunrise/sunset to meditate. Beautiful scenery + peaceful mind = perfect recharge.
  5. Watch a movie. Intentional time to just sit, relax, and enjoy some time.
  6. Leisure read/write. You may have more thoughts on your mind than you think. It’s a super therapeutic way to spend down time.
  7. Invest in aroma therapy (scented candles, wax burners, def check with school policies if living on campus though!). Simple way to add zen to whatever you’re doing in almost every setting. Plus, who doesn’t appreciate a clean smelling room?
We are the SMU Team.