Homecoming King: Austin Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

President of the Interfraternity Council, the President of the SMU Ambassadors, Vice President of External Communications for the SMU Energy Club, a member of the Kappa Alpha Order, and a member of the Spindletop Fund. Now Austin Brown can add another item to his resume: SMU’s Homecoming King for the Centennial Year.

When we got the chance to sit down with the king on campus we had to get the low down on everything from his major to what he looks for in a girl. Here is what we found out about the 21-year-old senior accounting major from Atlanta. Oh and guess what ladies, he’s single.

Her Campus SMU: How does it feel being the 2015 Homecoming King?

Austin Brown: I am very honored to be the Homecoming King at SMU.  When I was a freshman I thought that running for Homecoming King, and winning it on top of that, was one of the last things I would ever do.  I was proud to be able to represent SMU and my fraternity, KA, since both have done so much for me in my time at SMU.

Courtesy of Facebook

HC SMU: What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?

AB: The craziest thing I have ever done was “dance” in front of over a thousand people at Rock the Vote.  You have to be able to laugh at yourself and try to have fun in situations like that so I just kind of went for it and I’m sure most of y’all saw how it turned out haha.

HC SMU: What do you look for most in a girl?

AB: I look for a girl who is confident but not cocky, who is driven in their commitments but also knows how to relax and have fun, and a girl who laughs at my jokes while also knowing how to laugh at herself from time to time.

HC SMU: What would your ideal date be?

AB: My ideal date would be with a girl who knows how to have fun no matter what we are doing or no matter where we are.  I would love to be on a date with a girl that knew how to make something as boring as sitting at the DMV fun.

HC SMU: What’s your favorite sorority?

AB: That’s a dangerous question haha.

HC SMU: What are your plans after graduation?

AB: I plan on staying at SMU for a 5th year for my Master’s degree in Accounting so that I can sit for the CPA exam.  After that, I plan on working for a Big 4 accounting firm and eventually moving into the oil and gas industry.

HC SMU: What is the thing you will miss most about SMU when you graduate?

AB: I will miss being able to see so many of my friends on a daily basis and I will miss the ability to work with a dedicated group of students and faculty members.

HC SMU: What is your advice for freshman?

AB: My advice for freshman is to try and get involved early on so that you are able to find something you are passionate about at SMU.  Getting involved also helps you meet a ton of people, which helps out down the road.

HC SMU: What is the one thing you want people to know about you?

AB: I always enjoy meeting new people so feel free to come up to me and start a conversation if we haven’t met each other yet.

All hail King Austin, look for him at Homebar on Thursday ladies!

CarleeAnn Allen is a senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in Journalism and Psychology. Between finding new places to eat and pretending she has her life together, she enjoys taking naps and being active in her sorority.
We are the SMU Team.