Style > Beauty

Here’s a Makeup Routine That Will Help You Look Awake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Getting enough sleep is next to impossible when you’re juggling college classes, extracurricular activities, a social life and the chores that come with living on your own. Every collegiette has experienced the puffiness and dark circles that come from countless late nights spent studying, partying and everything in between. Even if you’re so tired you can’t keep your eyes open, you can still look wide awake with this easy routine.

Photo by Piper Kopser

1. Get rid of puffy skin by using a cold compress.

Before putting on makeup, dampen a hand towel with cold water and hold it over your eyes for a few minutes. This will help minimize any puffiness and make bags under your eyes less noticeable. Don’t use ice- it’s too harsh on your skin, especially since the skin around your eyes is very sensitive and will turn red from irritation.

2. Apply a primer, then cover dark circles with a color corrector.

Color correctors (CC creams) are great for dark circles under the eyes but use them lightly. Pink and peach tones are great for lighter skin, but for darker skin tones, use orange or red. Do not use too much of these, though. Since they’re not your natural skin color, using too much will only draw more attention to the area under your eyes. Instead, apply a little bit to a blending sponge and dab it over the area, making sure you’re blending it outward to avoid harsh lines. Apply a setting powder over it.

3. Skip the concealer and go straight to foundation.

Some people opt to place concealer over the color corrector, but using an extra layer of medium or full coverage foundation is better. The more you try to cover dark circles, the more attention it will draw to the area. Apply your foundation, then go back and add a tiny bit more to the skin under your eyes. Your goal is to make your skin look even, so you don’t want to be piling on makeup on one area to try to cover any discoloration. Also on the topic of foundation, you want it to match your skin tone as closely as possible, but it’s better to have one that’s just a tiny bit darker than lighter. Lighter foundations make it difficult to cover things like dark circles.

4. Use contour according to your judgment.

Personally, I’ve found that my cheeks get puffier when I’m tired, so a little contouring under my cheekbone goes a long way to minimize that. Some people find that they look even more tired with contour because it makes you look a little darker, so use your judgment and don’t go overboard. If your face doesn’t get puffy from fatigue, you probably don’t need this step.

5. Apply a thin layer of bright blush.

Opt for a brighter, peachy blush over a darker one with blue tones. Blushes with hints of blue or purple, like Oasis or Sin by Nars, for example, will make dark circles stand out even more. Blushes with vibrant, warm hues will make your face look brighter and you’ll look more awake. My favorite shades for this are Torrid by Nars and 02 Rose Bronze by Chanel. Be careful, though; these colors are vibrant and can go from looking cute to clownish depending on how much you use. Dab your makeup brush lightly in the powder, being sure to only take a little bit before you apply it. You can add another layer if you decide it’s not enough, but be conscious about how much of the product you’re putting on.

6. Avoid dark colors on your eyes.

You really don’t want to have dark colors on your face, so skip any dark eye shadow and eyeliner. Anything black, purple, blue or just dark in general should be avoided. I’ve found that using white or ivory shades in the inner corners of your eyes, pale pinks over the center of your eyelid and a light or medium brown in the outer corners is the best combination for making your eyes look less tired. One palette I love for this is the Naked Palette by Urban Decay.

Lilly is a Marketing major at Southern Methodist University. She is a new writer for the Her Campus HCSMU chapter. She is also a member of SMU Cheerleading. She loves animals, travel, and coffee. She also watches Grey's Anatomy until three in the morning every night.
We are the SMU Team.