Heart for Houston: 5 Ways to Show Your Support

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Picture via Pexels 

While most of us in Dallas spent the weekend going out with friends, the people of Houston spent it underwater. I’m sure I speak for all of us at Her Campus SMU when I say our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Houston and the SMU students with loved ones affected. As the devastating flooding from Hurricane Harvey continues, you may wonder, “What can I do to help?” Well, I’ve got you covered. Here are five ways to support the victims of Hurricane Harvey:

1.) Donate via text.  

Picture via Pexels.

I’m starting out simple here. When donating is this easy, there’s really no excuse. 

• You can donate to the American Red Cross and their relief efforts in Houston by texting HARVEY to 90999. They’ll automatically take up a $10 donation on your behalf. 

• You can donate to the United Way of Greater Houston by texting UWFLOOD to 41444. (This is great if you want your money to go straight to the city.) 

• The Salvation Army is receiving donations specifically for Harvey victims if you text STORM to 51555. 

2.) Donate money online. 

Picture via Pexels 

If you’re willing and able to give more than a basic $10 donation, I recommend going online so you can pick your own value. 

• The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund is a Houston based non-profit where you can make a donation of any value ($10 and up) via credit card. 

•  The AmeriCares Foundation is bringing medication and supplies to Houston. They’re accepting donations of any value you can give. 

• GlobalGiving is raising money for the immediate needs of the people of Houston. You can donate via credit card, debit card or Pay Pal. 

3.) Donate supplies. 

Nonprofit Trusted World is collecting donations in Dallas to take to the those affected by Harvey. The drop-off place is 15660 Dallas Parkway, Dallas TX. They are currently seeking: “New underwear and socks (all sizes), non-perishable food, toiletries, feminine hygiene products, baby diapers, wipes and formula.” 

4.) Donate blood.  

Carter BloodCare is a Texas-based blood donation center that will be taking blood to the victims of Harvey. This is a great way for a healthy, but broke, college student to help. If you text DONATE4LIFE to 444-999, someone from the center will text you back with times and locations to donate. 

5.) Open your home.

Photo via Pexels

Have a place between here and Houston? Consider opening it up as a shelter for evacuees via Airbnb. The home-share service also has a disaster relief program that connects people who have been displaced with others who are willing to share their homes free of charge. All service fees for anyone checking in to an Airbnb due to Hurricane Harvey are also being waived from now until September 25. We have unique opportunities to help since we’re (relatively) close to Houston. So consider opening your doors to someone in need. 

Obviously, these are not all the amazing charities and organizations helping the people affected by Hurricane Harvey. I’ve just decided to spotlight a few that seem extra accessible to SMU students. So, I’ve linked three more articles below that list ways to help. Happy reading! 

National Public Radio- “Here’s How You Can Help People Affected By Harvey”

Dallas News- “Hurricane Harvey- Here’s How North Texans Can Help”

University of North Texas- Charities Accepting Donations To Help Hurrican Harvey Survivors

Grace is a sophmore at SMU. Besides Her Campus, she's a member of the UHP, Sigma Phi Lambda, and the SMU Debate Team. 
We are the SMU Team.