HCSMU’s Favorite Looks from the 2017 Emmys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

The red carpet at the Emmys this year was filled with dazzling talent, from impeccable directors, to actors giving their hearts out on stage, to writers who poured their souls into their screenplays. The Emmy’s this year had some historical wins, but right now, we are here for one thing and one thing only: the dresses. Don’t get me wrong, I’m amazed by the work that has been put in to all of these incredible works, and I’m filled with rage/joy/shock that this actor did/did not win for this/that category. But I’m also the same girl who has spent several hours on the Vanity Fair website trying to decide which dress I would steal if I had to attend a gala.

Shailene Woodley in Ralph Lauren

Ms. Woodley looks like a snake swathed in emerald. This is like the perfect dress for the Slytherin house, by the way. I’m happy she has gone blond, and I love the contrast between this green dress and the red carpet. Not Christmas-y at all.

Zoe Kravitz in Dior

This dress could look too feathery, it could look too edgy, it is so close to being too much and yet it IS NOT! Zoe Kravitz is a bejeweled peacock in this dress and nothing you can say will convince me otherwise. Thank you.

Sarah Hyland in Zac Posen

I’m so excited to see Sarah Hyland all grown up. She looks gorgeous on the red carpet and honestly I don’t give a damn about her Spanx malfunction. It happens to all of us, and she looks so fabulous that who even cares?

Priyanka Chopra in Balmain

If I look half as stunning in my wedding dress, I think it will be a pretty good day.

Ellie Kemper in Jenny Packham

The cutest thing I can say about this is that Elie Kemper’s stylists incorporated the blues and purples in her dress into her eye makeup, and I am very excited about this development. Still a little sad that she didn’t win for “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,” but she looks so pretty that I am okay with it.

Thandie Newton in Jason Wu

It’s hard to believe that the “Westworld” actress wasn’t nominated for her stunning performance (and that none of that cast won!), but she could win awards enough for how incredible she looks in this dress. She’s like an angel descended from heaven.

Nicole Kidman in Calvin Klein

Very very very excited about Kidman’s win for Big Little Lies, and also very excited about her clad in Calvin Klein. She glistens like a ruby in this gown, and who doesn’t love that slightly elevated hem? So chic!

Laverne Cox in Naeem Khan

This dress is like silver and mercury stitched together. Laverne looks otherworldy, as she so often does, and I would like to know where I can purchase a gown just like this.

Yara Shahidi in Prada

The Black-ish star looks so majestic on the red carpet, it’s hard to believe she’s only 17. When I was 17 I got my prom dress from Plato’s Closet, but I’m not bitter. She just looks SO GOOD.

Finn Wolfhard, Noah Schnapp, Gaten Matarazzo, and Caleb McLaughlin

I know they’re not in dresses, but how CUTE are these stars from “Stranger Things?” The answer is SO DANG CUTE!

All images via Vanity Fair

Want more from HCSMU? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest 

Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.