diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fighting Peruna Plague

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

We’ve all succumbed to the sickness as it sweeps through campus. I’m not talking about the apocalypse that was in this year’s Common Reading, “Station Eleven”, but rather the dreaded plague that spreads around our own campus. Peruna Plague. So, your roommates and friends have all passed through the sickness and you recognize that you’re next. As the impending doom kicks in, here are the top three things you can do to lessen the effects.

Start looking for immediate relief!

The first thing I did when I noticed everyone around me getting sick was reach for my Vitamin C stash and start drinking Emergen-C Vitamin Supplement. Not only did I feel better and energized, my immune system was stronger from it! I started upping my antioxidant intake and the easiest way to do that is by starting to drink a variety of tea. I specifically enjoy green tea with chamomile to wind down and orange tea in the morning to me wake me up and invigorate me for the day. Tea has therapeutic properties to help with congestion and coughing and will also keep you hydrated throughout the day.

Courtesy of Dollar General

Make the quick run to CVS!

Light, moderate exercise really helps with increasing white blood cell count but take it easy. You can take a nice walk to CVS rather than running over. When you’re there, make sure you stop by the pharmacist’s consultation window to see if they have any specific suggestions to you about your condition. Pick up some Robitussin and NyQuil to help with sleep and keeping symptoms at bay. Chicken noodle soup is proven to help bring a smile to your face but also has numerous anti-inflammatory properties. Avoid processed foods when you’re sick because you’ll just feel worse!

Courtesy of Food Network

The most obvious: Sleep & Water!

Drink the standard eight 8-ounce cups of water as your bare minimum. When you’re sick, your body is losing water that it so desperately needs. The more you get dehydrated, the more likely your sickness is likely to continue. As a college student, I know the struggle of having to sleep anything more than about four hours per night, but getting in the necessary eight hours will definitely help with cognition and energy during your sick days.

These are just some general suggestions of what to do when you feel sick but I know that this is a terrible time. You’ll feel like me and know that you’re missing out on all fun things but the light at the end of the tunnel is there and you’ll make it to the other side and finally be yourself again! Feel better soon!

Trina is a first year at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Originally from Wisconsin, she moved to Plano, Texas for high school, where the sweet tea convinced her that the South was her home for the rest of her life! She plans on pursuing a career in banking or in research and speaks Spanish fluently. Trina is a major foodie and has a serious case of wanderlust. She has been to forty states here at home, and also plans on hiking Machu Picchu next summer. For now, she plans on working for HC, continuing research and seeking out all food that the wonderful state of Texas has to offer!
We are the SMU Team.