Falling for Fall Treats: 9 Healthy Recipes to Try Over Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s that time of the season. September 22 marks the first day of fall. In the colder seasons, we tend to decrease our physical activity due to colder temperatures and spending less time outside. Because of this, We’ve chosen some really great, unprocessed, and clean recipes that I know you’ll love and will keep your body looking great all season! These recipes are healthy alternatives and great additions to add to your fall recipe books. Although fall and winter are approaching, these quick tips and recipes will enable you to maintain your summer body in no time! Check out these cozy recipes.

Make in your family’s kitchen during Fall Break or in your college apartment:

1. Healthy Spiced Carrot Muffins

These muffins are loaded with healthy ingredients and are the perfect snack for a fall morning. Carrots are high in many vitamins and these muffins will provide your body with fiber, calcium and protein too. 

2. Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Cinnamon Butternut Squash, Pecans, and Cranberries

This delicious dish is bursting with fall and holiday vibes. Definitely an easy go-to Thanksgiving side dish. It’s healthy, vegetarian, packed with fiber and tastes amazing.

3. Fall Harvest Hot Apple Cider

Hot drinks are perfect for a cozy, fall rainy night. Apples, pears, cinnamon sticks… I can already smell the smell of comfort!

4. No-Bake Pumpkin Spice Latté Bites

These No-Bake Pumpkin Spice Latté Bites are what you want a pumpkin spice latté to taste like- minus the unhealthy factor. We can keep our bikini bods in mind while treating ourselves to a fall treat. These energy balls will take 5 mins to make and are completely vegan, gluten and dairy free, paleo, and have protein. Yay!

5. Butternut Squash and Cranberry Quinoa Salad

Saving the best for last. Quinoa is currently an obsession of mine because the super-grain has 8 essential amino acids and is a healthier alternative than rice or pasta. Roasted butternut squash, sweet cranberries, and salty toasted pumpkin seeds – All the favorite fall flavors in one bowl! 

No kitchen? No problem. Healthiest fall foods and drinks that can be eaten in your dorm room:

1. Trader Joe’s Pumpkin O’s

The pumpkin season magic has made its way into cereal too. These nutritious pumpkin-flavored O’s are round like pumpkins and made from whole grain brown rice, sweetened with real pumpkin flavorings too. Munch on these for a dorm room study snack.

2. Nature’s Path Pumpkin Spice Waffles

Eat a few waffles as a quick breakfast before running off to class. This great product is made with organic pumpkin puree and a cinnamon and nutmeg spice blend.

3. Engine 2 Apple Pumpkin Granola

If you’ve never heard of this brand, Engine 2 is a plant-based, whole foods diet. They pride themselves on not using any animal products and have minimal sugar. This granola is made with pumpkin puree, pumpkin seeds, dried apples and spices. Enjoy!

4. Califia Pumpkin Spice Latte Cold Brew Coffee with Almond Milk

This comes pretty close to our beloved PSL. Califia Farms has created the only ready-to-drink vegan pumpkin spice latte nationwide! This is an uniquely delicious, natural and healthful choice when it comes to choosing a PSL this fall. Created with real pumpkin puree and combined with the smooth almond-milk taste.

My name is Charlotte Hayward and I'm pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Communication with a minor in Religious Studies. I previously wrote for Her Campus SMU in Dallas, TX but now attend SCU in California. I love to travel and am a health-nut! Check out my new articles on our Santa Clara HC site. 
We are the SMU Team.