This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

With the rush of move-in, the flourish of syllabuses, and the blur of summer tans swirling around campus, 2015’s fall semester of college has commenced! HC SMU wants to help you get a jump start on the best year ever. For your enjoyment, I’ve put together a list of can’t miss fall activities unique to the wonderful city of Dallas!

1.  Texas State Fair

People come from across the great state of Texas to check out this phenomenon. Beginning in 1886, the fair is located in Fair Park, two miles east of City Center and opens on September 25. It has everything from fried Oreos, to exotic animals, to the iconic Texas Ferris wheel. Don’t miss your chance to see an example of everything being bigger in Texas.

2.  SMU football, Homecoming & Boulevading

Speaking of iconic experiences, you can’t go to school in the South without feeling the hype for fall football. While SMU tends to be a little better known for its amazing pre-game boulevards, we’re excited to see what Chad Morris and the team has done with our program. Break out the boots and sundresses! SMU takes on Baylor on September 4 and welcomes back alumni for Homecoming on September 26.

3.  Celebrate SMU’s 100th birthday with Eli Young Band

Continuing the bucket list with important SMU to do’s, the University is finishing its Centennial celebration by hosting a birthday concert headlined by Eli Young Band, free for all students! (#totalSMUmove!) Mark your calenders for September 23 at 8 p.m.!

4.  Pumpkin Patch at the Dallas Arboretum

Get your Instagram fix at this intense annual fall exhibition. Not only can you purchase pumpkins to decorate your living space, the Pumpkin Patch has town houses, statues, and other creative constructions for y’all to enjoy.

5.  Find a place to study off campus

When your bed is too tempting but the library’s lights are to draining, I highly suggest venturing off campus to study. While Starbucks is all well and good, Dallas has a ton of cool alternatives with coffee and wifi to support your GPA. Some cool options are Mudsmith, Café Brazil (endless coffee bar) and Union (so close to campus).

6.  The Great Texas Food Truck Rally

Check out some of the coolest cuisine on wheels at its annual event on September 12 from 9-12 p.m. Bring your friends and chill out on Reunion Tower lawn, which has one of the city’s best skyline vantage points.

7.  Klyde Warren Park

For the Food Truck Junkies, another cool option is Klyde Warren Park where Food Trucks gather daily. While there, you can check out their lawn games, movie nights, and live music! Added bonus: the whole park has free wifi!

8.  Go two-stepping

Embrace your Texas residency and learn this incredibly fun and easy to learn style of dance. Check out Cowboys Red River Thursdays through Saturdays or Sons of Hermann Hall on Sundays!

9.  Explore Bishop Arts District

Especially if this is your first semester in Dallas, I highly recommend exploring this eclectic part of the city. The self-titled “most independent part of Dallas” is home to cool restaurants, coffee shops and boutiques. My personal recommendation is to stop by Emporium Pies before seeing one of the many events hosted at The Wild Detectives.

10.  George W. Bush  Presidential Library

To an SMU student, this probably seems obvious but I’m a junior and I still haven’t gone. From exhibits on everything from baseball to Oscar De La Renta’s gorgeous gowns, it’s a gem right on campus that is free to students. While you’re there, make sure to snap a picture in the model Oval Office!

11.  See Highland Park Village when it lights up

Nothing quite says winter like walking around Highland Park Village with a cup of hot chocolate and looking at the hundreds of thousands of white Christmas lights strung across the buildings. It’s absolutely breath taking and not something to miss.

12.  Ice skate at the Galleria

Winter time in Dallas means the creation of a beautiful indoor ice skating rink, decked out in red and gold Christmas trees. Sing along to fun jams and grab food with friends (or dates *wink*) by the side of the rink.

13.  Celebration of Lights

The last must do of the fall semester is to be a part of one of SMU’s most iconic traditions. Enjoy free snacks, grab a candle and watch some of the University’s very talented performers. The event culminates in the illumination of the lights that light up the entire boulevard. Celebration of Lights is the last event of SMU’s centennial celebration, so you can be sure this year will be better than ever. 

Hannah Claire Brimelow is a Junior at Southern Methodist University, majoring in English and Communication Studies and minoring in French. After her December 2016 graduation, Brimelow intends to continue on to law school and, eventually, work on international adoption policy and children's rights issues. When not writing for Her Campus SMU, she enjoys traipsing around around the world and pretending she's a Texas native.
We are the SMU Team.