Everything You Need to Know About Facial Mists and Setting Sprays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

To the eye of the every day makeup wearer, face mists or setting sprays (these two terms will be used interchangeably throughout this article) might seem like an unnecessary step in a makeup routine. “Does it even do anything?”, “I don’t need this, really, right?” some might ask me. WRONG. Face mists are life changing. No and’s if’s or but’s about it. The revelation that face mists are the key to makeup success is just like when you realized that blue eye shadow was not the key to makeup success. Here’s the lowdown.

Face Mists for Longevity

Most of the face mists on the market are for setting your makeup, and making it last longer than it normally would. Some of these include, but are not limited to the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray, the Skindinavia Setting Spray, and the L’Oréal Infalliable Setting Spray. You can spray these on your face before you apply your makeup as a primer, or use them afterward. Any setting spray will reduce the look of powder or “cakiness” on the skin, but these setting sprays will make sure your makeup up lasts all day (and night).

$30 at Sephora

Face Mists for Glow

Because who doesn’t need a little bit of that J Lo glow in their lives, am I right? Something like the Tatcha Luminous Skin Mist, MAC Fix Plus Spray, or the Pixi Glow Mist will get your skin looking lively and ready to rock. These setting sprays are especially good for giving your skin a little bit of pep after your makeup has been on for a long time. They’re perfect if you have negative 10 minutes to do your makeup in between class and a date.

$48 at Sephora                                                   

Face Mists for Skincare

Using face mists as part of your skincare routine, is a fast and easy way to get those essential ingredients onto your face. Mario Badescu’s Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs, and Rose Water is a calming and hydrating face mist, and plus it smells great. The Ole Henricksen Grease Relief Facial Water is a perfect midday pick me up for women with oilier skin, and works as an alternative to blotting papers which can smear your makeup. The Coola Makeup Setting Spray with SPF gives you a hearty (and touch-upable) dose of sun protection, while also keeping your makeup in place.

$15 at Ulta

There are so many amazing face mists and setting sprays on the market right now, so there’s definitely one to fix any sort of makeup or skincare problem you might have. Look around and experiment with some, and find what works with your skin and makeup the best! 

Hi! I'm the beauty crazed one here at Her Campus SMU. But I also love food, coffee, shopping, traveling, laughing, and of course, writing. You can also find me rambling on about cosmetics and my dogs on my Youtube channel!
We are the SMU Team.