Elisabeth Knutzen: President of SMU’s Student Foundation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Student Foundation is proud to present once again all of the traditional SMU events: Family Weekend, Homecoming, and Celebration of Lights. This year, however, they will adopt new themes. Family Weekend (Sep. 16-18) will be “It’s a State of Mind,” Homecoming (Nov. 5) “Bright Lights, Big Cities,” and Celebration of Lights  (Dec. 4). The Foundation is also excited to welcome big name speakers like Katie Couric.  I was able to talk with Student Foundation’s hardworking President, Elisabeth Knutzen, to learn more about the organization.

1. What is the easiest way for incoming freshman to get word about SF?
Student Foundation had a table at A Night at the Club Fair on Saturday, August 20th, but all students are welcome to check out our website www.smu.edu/sf anytime they would like to learn more about Student Foundation and the campus-wide events we organize. 

2. How can members of the student body help out?
Members of the student body interested in helping plan and carry out Family Weekend, Homecoming, Celebration of Lights, and the Tate Lectures should seek to become a general member of Student Foundation.  We accept new general members at the beginning of each semester.  Students can also help out by auditioning for the annual Family Weekend talent show, joining a Homecoming team, and attending Celebration of Lights.  These are all events that SMU students do not want to miss! 

3. Biggest event on campus? 
I cannot choose just one as Family Weekend, Homecoming, and Celebration of Lights are all very big events that include the entire University.  While Family Weekend is large due to all the families on campus, Homecoming brings a large alumni base to campus, and Celebration of Lights brings a large community population to SMU.  

4. Definitions for incoming students:
Student Foundation – Student Foundation is a student organization committed to providing quality traditional programming that builds community on the SMU campus, strengthens relationships with alumni and friends of the university, and fosters student leadership. Programs include Family Weekend, Homecoming, Celebration of Lights, Mane Event, the Tate Lecture Series, and the SMU Ambassador Program.

Family Weekend – Family Weekend welcomes families of current students to campus for a weekend full of events such as the Mothers’ Club Luncheon, Dads’ Club Barbeque, Student Talent Show, Taste of Dallas Dinner, Open Houses, and tailgating on Bishop Boulevard before the football game.   

Homecoming – Homecoming is a week-long schedule of activities that cater to students and alumni alike.  Homecoming week events include a campus-wide Rock the Vote, College Bowl, parade float building, and King and Queen elections that all lead up to the big Homecoming game.

Celebration of Lights – Celebration of Lights kicks off the winter holiday season by lighting the Christmas tree and parts of the campus on the Main Quad.  The community sings songs of the season, sees live performers, and hears the Christmas story read by our university president, R. Gerald Turner. 

Tate Lecture Series – One of the nation’s leading lecture programs, the Willis M. Tate Lecture Series, brings a unique perspective to SMU. Bringing world-renowned scholars, politicians, authors, and entertainers to the Dallas community, the Tate Series is in its twenty-seventh year at SMU.

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.