toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

Easy Halloween Dorm Decorations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

My hometown always went all out for Halloween with impressive decorations on every corner. Just because you’re in a dorm doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the fun or fright of decorations! Here are a few cheap and easy ways to dress up your dorm.

Lights

String lights hung around the room are festive and incredibly aesthetically pleasing. If your bed is lofted, string them underneath for a cool hang out space. Warning: you may not want to take them down all year. Get an orange or purple colored bulb for extra Halloween fun.

Painted Pumpkins

A fun decoration that also doubles as a fun hangout activity or study break is painted pumpkins. While carving pumpkins is a little to intensive for the dorms, painted pumpkins allow for artistic freedom in half the time, and if you buy the really small pumpkins they last several months.

Door Decor

Door decorations are fun for you and your neighbors! String tinsel or cute signs up, and if you’re feeling extra handy tie a small bag around your door handle and let people take candy. It’s a great way to make friends!

Cutouts

Signs and cutouts can also be great to occupy free wall space. You can easily find premade ones at Target or a Halloween store, or you can make your own with simple construction paper. 

Window Display

If you have a window in your room, displaying a spooky skeleton or ghost is super cute and you never know who you might surprise. 

All of these methods are super quick and shouldn’t cost more than $20 in materials. Happy Halloween!

Grace is a freshman at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Fashion Media. Born in Seattle and raised in San Fransisco, Grace loves cities and the amazing culture that comes with them. A few of her favorite things are art and fashion, and she loves exploring museums.
We are the SMU Team.