This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Most people don’t think of 1971 as being a big year in history. Many don’t know why that year holds such a special spot in the hearts of so many Dallasites. For all of you who have no idea what I am talking about, in 1971 the frozen margarita was created in Dallas, Texas. Once that historical event occurred, nothing would ever be the same. Happy Hours around the nation were forever changed, and residents of Dallas grew accustomed to having the best drink options wherever they went. Here is a quick tour of the top five drinks you must try while living in the big D.

“Strawberry Daquiri with Wine Popsicle” from The Rustic, Courtesy of Yelp

To kick off our boozy journey, we begin in Highland Park Village at Mi Cocina, home of the famous Mambo Taxi. Part margarita, part sangria, completely amazing. This is the go to drink for very girl, and sometimes guys, during trips to the Tex-Mex hotspot. Delicious, but strong, the Mambo Taxi is the key to every successful girls night or formal dinner. If you don’t order a Mambo Taxi during your next trip to Mi Cocina then you really have a lot to learn about living in Dallas.

The next stop on our journey is Lower Greenville. This area has gained popularity with Dallas residents and SMU students alike for its unique charm and eclectic restaurants. HG SPLY Co. is one of the most popular rooftop bars in Dallas and always a favorite restaurant for people looking to eat healthy. One of the best drinks on the menu is their Frozen HG Moscow Mule. An amazing combination of Effen Vodka, lime, agave syrup and ginger Holy Kombucha, this frozen treat is the best way to battle the Texas heat.

We are off to Uptown next to go to The Common Table. After seeing the drink menu, it is obvious that this place is anything but common. One of their local favorites is the Skittles Sangria. A beautiful combination of sangria, fresh fruit and skittles, this drink is loved by anyone who wants something sweet.

We venture to Deep Ellum for the next boozy creation. Going to Anvil Pub for brunch is an experience more than anything else. The famous F**k Brunch is a monstrous 32 ounce bloody Mary, mimosa, screwdriver, or sangria with skewers of food in it. Donuts, tator tots, fruit and breakfast sandwiches are some of the food that will be coming out of your drink. If you order the F**k Brunch and don’t Instagram it, then you did you really drink it? Get a s’artsy picture of the drink too because, after all, you’re in Deep Ellum.

“F**k Brunch” from Anvil Pub, Courtesy of Yelp

The last stop is in the heart of Dallas at everyone’s favorite backyard bar, The Rustic. Known for concerts, dining and the famous drinks, The Rustic draws in people from all over Texas. While some come for concerts, others come for the booze. The varieties of drinks that have a Popsicle garnishing them are the most loved. Strawberry daiquiri, sangrita and fruity margaritas are just a few of the drinks that come to you with a Popsicle in tow. These drinks are sweet and aren’t for the faint of heart, but make a great Snapchat my story.

That rounds out our trip around Dallas. These are only a few of the places any Dallas resident should go, so grab your friends and see what else Dallas and its many creative bartenders have to offer.

CarleeAnn Allen is a senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in Journalism and Psychology. Between finding new places to eat and pretending she has her life together, she enjoys taking naps and being active in her sorority.
We are the SMU Team.