A definitive ranking of the Torchy’s tacos of the month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Torchy’s Tacos is a staple of most SMU students’ diets. The tacos are great, the chips are always perfectly crunchy and the queso is life changing. Some customers don’t even know that every month Torchy’s has a special taco of the month. A unique confection that pushes the limits of what we expect to find wrapped in a tortilla. Although some of the combinations seem odd, every taco of the month we have tried has blown our minds and left us wanting the month to never end. Except we want the month to end because we cant wait to see what’s next. It’s very a conflicting feeling.

**Please note that the tacos are not in order by month and some may not be returning for 2016. The rankings are done based off of past tacos of the month. Her Campus SMU is not responsible for taco disappointment.**

10. The South Pole

I’ve never had The South Pole because #maryhadalittlelamb, but this shredded leg of lamb, avocado, French fried onions, cotija cheese, cranberry habanero jam, cilantro, and Diablo sauce taco is everyone’s favorite around December.

9. The Scarecrow

This one is a little out of my comfort zone but people rave about it every year so it must be good. Pumpkin seed breaded chicken tenders with roasted poblano peppers, topped with escabeche carrots, queso fresco, cilantro, and drizzled with creamy Chipotle Ranch. I can’t get over the pumpkin seed chicken.

8. The Turkey Mole 

How do you celebrate Thnaksgiving in Texas? Thats easy. With a taco filled with Texas-fried turkey and Oaxacan mole sauce, Mexican rice, queso fresco, avocado and cilantro. So much better than casseroles and stuffing. 

7. The Double Wide

Its redneck and we love it. Chicken fried steak, bacon, Green Chili Queso, cotija cheese and pico de gallo make this hick taco more than memorable. Wear stretchy pants though because this guy is not for the healthy eaters.

6. The Kingpin

Cuban flavors and Austin tacos make a stellar combination. Pork carnitas simmered with green chilies and topped with black beans are rolled up with fried plantains, drizzled with sour cream, cotija cheese, pickled onions, cilantro and served with avocado sauce

5. The Barn Burner

Try to beat the heat with this taco. Grilled beef fajita, bacon, Manzano chili salad, goat cheese, cilantro and topped with avocado and diablo sauce.

4. Ace of Spades

A tortilla stuffed with a grilled jalapeno sausage link and smoked brisket, then topped with a fried egg, shredded cheese, Green Chili Queso, cilantro, queso fresco, sour cream, and Diablo Hot Sauce. #Winning.

3. The Texas Chili Dog

A classic Texas meal meets a taco. Putting a jalapeno sausage link, topping it with homemade Texas chili, shredded cheese, a fried egg, pico de gallo, and Frito corn chips makes for a great meal.

2. The Roscoe

For all you chicken and waffle fans, this is the taco for you. From April 2015 and coming in second in our list, what taco would be complete without a fried egg, waffle, chicken tender and a strip of crispy bacon? Don’t forget the syrup to finish off this breakfast taco monstrosity.

1. The Scallywag

February comes in with a bang with the best taco on our list. Coconut-battered shrimp, bacon, green chiles, jack cheese and pickled onions finished off with homemade Habanero Peach Jam and cilantro. It sounds odd but the flavors work together to create a tasted that cannot be matched. We live for February. We live for the Scallywag. 

If these tacos aren’t crazy enough for you, check out the Torchy’s Tacos secret menu

Photos courtesy of Torchy’s Tacos and Instagram. 

CarleeAnn Allen is a senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in Journalism and Psychology. Between finding new places to eat and pretending she has her life together, she enjoys taking naps and being active in her sorority.
We are the SMU Team.