A Definitive Ranking of Dallas Movie Theaters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

You’ve heard the phrase “April showers bring May flowers” right? Well, there has definitely been a fair amount of rain in Dallas lately. What pairs better with a rainy day than a trip to the movies? Check out our a list of the best places to escape a rainy day and see a movie in Dallas:

1. Angelika Film Center and Café: Angelika theaters began in New York City and brought the “cool” aspects of NYC to Dallas. Often, the Angelika shows both International and Indie films, making it the best place to go see a lesser-known film. The theater, built in 2001, is clean and luxurious. Helpful tip: street parking near the theater is almost impossible, so head straight to the parking garage for free parking.  

2. Inwood Theatre: What makes this movie theater unique is its couches and loveseats, instead of traditional movie theater seating. In 2011, it was one of the “10 great places to see a movie in splendor” according to USA Today. The theater also has a popular martini bar in the lobby, making this an exciting place to see a movie.

3. Alamo Drafthouse Dallas: Much like Studio Movie Grill, this theater offers a full dining and drink menu. The theater also offers occasional specialty viewings, such as Dirty Dancing or a “Quote-Along” movie event. Critics have taken note of the “uniqueness” of this theater giving it the title of  “#1 Movie Theater in America” by Entertainment Weekly.

4. The Magnolia Theatre: Situated in the heart of West Village, this stylish theater has a full service bar in the lobby and a gourmet concessions menu including fun staples like steak empanadas. With only five screens it is fairly small, but certainly has a unique atmosphere making for a memorable movie experience.

5. AMC Northpark 15: Although it can be a hassle going to a movie in the mall, AMC Northpark is one of the finest  “mall” movie theaters in the country. With a full bar and improved concessions menu, this theater competes with the best in Dallas. With AMC’s many movie showing times and large theaters, this theater can be the most convenient choice.

6. Studio Movie Grill: With multiple locations in the Dallas area, this theater chain is both convenient and clever. At SMG locations, a full dining/drink menu is offered. There are tables and wait staff that bring your meal to you while you watch the film. This can be distracting, but overall these theaters provide a good movie viewing experience.

7. Highland Park Village Theatre: This classic theater began showing films in 1935. Although the exterior of the building may look old, the interior has been recently renovated. The theater has four screens and a renovated sound system. For dining, there is the Marque Grill and Village Bar within the theater. Also, because of its location in Highland Park Village there are many restaurants and shops within walking distance, making a night at this theater a remarkable one.

Happy movie-watching! 

Christina is a sophomore at SMU studying Advertising and Fashion Media. When not writing, she enjoys cooking, exploring Dallas, and playing with her pug puppy, Stella. You can follow her on Instagram @prettylittlemyers. 
We are the SMU Team.