Dallas Staycation: 7 Fun Activities for Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Staying in Dallas for Fall Break? Check out this list of fun things to do, eat and see for a perfect weekend staycation!

1. The State Fair of Texas

The state fair is back with fried Oreos, Big Tex and more! If you haven’t been yet, this is a must. Even if you have been, go again! There’s tons of carnival games and rides, plus amazing fair food (don’t bother remembering your diet) along with art showcases and livestock! General admission is $18 at the gate or $16 online. The fair runs from September 30 to October 23. Read here for more information! 

2. Girl’s night sleepover in the dorm

Text your closest girlfriends and head on over to CVS or Mac’s Place and stock up on your favorite snacks, pick out some movies to watch, gather tons of blankets and pillows and have a fun sleepover! (Bonus points for facemasks or nail painting.)

3. Have a shopping day

Check out some local malls for an afternoon full of shopping! Mockingbird Station is walking distance from campus, along with Snider Plaza which is full of adorable boutiques. Highland Park Village and NorthPark Center are also both just a short Uber ride away.

4. Spend a day and head to Forth Worth

Yes, you read that right, that does say Forth Worth: the dreaded enemy territory. But if you know where to look, FW can be quite fun. It’s super easy to get to by train if you take the Dart south to the American Airlines Center than hop on to the TRE headed toward Fort Worth. Once you’re there, there’s a zoo, botanical gardens, the Stockyards, lots of great barbeque and other food (specifically Toppers or Melt Ice Creams). Last but not least, there’s Billy Bob’s, which is the world’s largest honky-tonk complete with a rodeo arena, several bars, and mechanical bulls.

5. Check out a Local Museum or Art Gallery

Dallas is full of wonderful museums and most of them are free. Below is a list of just a few:

• Deep Ellum: this is technically an entire neighborhood but it’s covered in street art
  • Bishop Arts District: a series of a few blocks full of independent shops and art galleries
  • Nasher Sculpture Center
  • Dallas Museum of Art
  • Perot Museum of Nature and Science
  • George Bush Library
  • And so many more!

6. Spend the Day Outside

Yes, this means actually getting out of bed, closing Netflix, and putting on real pants. But it’s all worth it for the next few locations!

• Check out the Dallas Zoo (which boasts being the largest in Texas) or the Dallas World Aquarium
  • Take a walk outside at the Dallas Arboretum, Katy Trail, or Klyde Warren Park (there’s food trucks every Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.!)

7. Try a new restaurant (or two)

Dallas is known for having a high amount of restaurants per capita. So why not take advantage of all the good eats that Dallas has to offer!

• For Tacos: Velvet, Digg’s, or Torchy’s
  • For Tex-Mex: Chuy’s, Mi Cocina, or Gloria’s
  • For Desert: Cow Tipping Creamery, Emporium Pies, Sprinkles, or Cake Bar
  • For Burgers: Shake Shack, Whataburger, Snuffer’s, Grub, Hopdoddy, or Twisted Root
  • Other Favorites Include: The Rustic, Zoe’s Kitchen, Common Table, The Standard Pour, Social House, or HG Supply Co.

Pick one, combine a few, or come up with your own and spend a perfect staycation weekend in Dallas this fall break!

We are the SMU Team.