This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Get your pumpkin spice lattes out people, it’s officially spooky time! That’s right ladies and gents, October is here, meaning Halloween is around the corner and new movies are coming out. Amongst our lineup of wicked tricks and sweet treats are some new films and remakes. Personally, I’m excited for the new Marvel “Venom” film with Tom Hardy and the “Halloween” (2018) sequel. From the last days of Oscar Wilde in “The Happy Prince” to the horror filled remake of the 1977 film “Suspiria,” this month has a full lineup.

Here is what’s coming soon to theaters near you:

October 5

“Venom” (Action, Superhero) Starring: Tom Hardy

When a symbiote attaches to him, Eddie Brock is forced to release his parasitic alter-ego “Venom” in this anti-hero film.

“A Star is Born” (Drama, Musical) Starring: Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga

While battling his decaying career, Jackson Maine helps a young singer find fame and love.

“Loving Pablo” (Drama) Starring:  Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz

This film chronicles the love affair between the world’s most feared drug lord, Pablo Escobar, and the infamous journalist, Virginia Vallejo.

October 10

“The Happy Prince” (Drama, Comedy) Starring: Rupert Everett and Colin Firth

A lovingly ironic telling of the last days of famous writer, Oscar Wilde.

October 12

“Bad Times at the El Royale” (Thriller, Sci-Fi) Starring: Chris Hemsworth and Dakota Johnson

A stunning story of redemption as seven strangers meet at El Royale, a rundown hotel with an even darker past.

“Beautiful Boy” (Biography, Drama) Starring: Steve Carell and Timothée Chalamet

An awe-inspiring story of one family’s survival through coping with a long withstanding addiction.

Bigger(Biography, Drama) Starring: Tyler Hoechlin

A truly inspirational story of overcoming anti-Semitism and poverty to become the true founders of fitness as we now know it. The true story of the Weider brothers.

“First Man” (Biography, Drama) Starring: Ryan Gosling

A biopic on the first man on the moon and the steps Neil Armstrong took before the Apollo 11 mission.

“Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween” (Adventure, Comedy, Family) Starring: Jack Black

Halloween comes in all shapes and sizes in this comedic adventure based on the stories from R.L. Stine.

“Gosnell: The Trial of America’s Biggest Serial Killer” (Crime, Drama) Starring: Dean Cain and Earl Billings

The shocking true story behind the investigation and trial of Dr. Kermit Gosnell and his thirty-year killing spree.

October 19

“Halloween” (Thriller, Horror) Starring: Jamie Lee Curtis

Forty years after the horrific murders of her friends, Laurie Strode is once again confronted by Michael Myers but this time, she’s prepared.

“The Hate U Give” (Crime, Drama) Starring: KJ Apa and Amandla Stenberg

After witnessing the shooting of her best friend, Starr must stand up for what she believes and fight for justice.

“Galveston” (Thriller) Starring: Lili Reinhart and Elle Fanning

After being double-crossed, hitman Roy Cady goes back home to plot his revenge while finding new beginnings in the form of Raquel Arceneaux.

“Can You Ever Forgive Me?” (Drama, Biography, Crime) Starring: Melissa McCarthy

The true story of celebrity biographer, Lee Israel.

“Wildlife” (Drama, Coming-of-Age) Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal and Carey Mulligan

After witnessing his mother fall for another man, a teenage boy must watch as his family crumbles.

October 26

“Hunter Killer” (Action, Thriller) Starring: Gerard Butler and Gary Oldman

When the Russian president gets kidnapped by a rogue general, American submarine Captain Joe Glass must assemble a group of Navy SEALS to rescue him.

“Indivisible” (Drama) Starring: Sarah Drew and Justin Bruening

The incredible true story of how far one man will go for his faith and for his marriage when faced with the scars of war.

“Suspiria” (Horror) Starring: Dakota Johnson and Chloë Grace Moretz

An ambitious American student arrives abroad when she begins to suspect that her academy might not be what thought. Dakota Johnson stars as Susie in this remake of the original Italian 1977 film.

“Johnny English Strikes Again” (Action, Adventure, Comedy) Starring: Rowan Atkinson

Forced to come out of retirement, Johnny English embarks on yet another journey to find the mastermind behind the revealing of the identities of the British secret service. 

“Air Strike” (Action, Adventure) Starring: Bruce Willis and Song Seung-heon

Set during World War II, this film surrounds the men affected by the Japanese Chongqing bombings.

“Viper Club” (Drama, Crime) Starring: Susan Sarandon and Matt Bomer

After her son is taken hostage by terrorists, one mother is willing to go to extreme lengths to find him. When the government fails her, she takes matters into her own hands.

Tori is a Junior and Film and Media Arts major with a Graphics Design minor at Southern Methodist University. She enjoys writing about films and current trends in the cinematic industry as well as in the general media. She is a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She has two dogs (Hunter and Hugo) and lives in Connecticut
We are the SMU Team.