Coffee Talk: Your Guide to Espresso Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Have you ever gone to a coffe shop and had no idea what the drink names meant? “I’ll take a cappa-latte-macc-chino.” Same. We’re here to expain the difference between espresso drinks so you can save yourself when at the counter.

First things first, what is espresso? Many people think espresso is a type of bean when really it’s coffee brewed by forcing a small amount of basically boiling water with high pressure through finely ground coffee beans. Now, we’ll explain some espresso drinks starting with the strongest espresso flavor to the weakest flavor.

Americano: An Americano consists of a splash of hot fresh water with a double shot of espresso. Honestly, we would suggest ordering a double shot and then ask for a cup of hot water. It’ll save you some change and still give the same bold taste.

Photo by andreas.klodt

Macchiato: Since macchiato means spotted or stained, a shot of espresso is staining a thin layer of foam. A whole lot of kick with a little bit of milk.

Photo by Bex.Walton

Cappuchino: Think of a cappuchino in thirds: 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, and 1/3 foam. The milk and foam should have a thick, creamy texture. 

Photo by finemsequi

Dry Cappuchino: A dry cap is the bascially a cappuchino with more foam instead of steamed milk.

Flat White: A flat white is 1/3 espresso, 2/3 steamed milk, and a super thin layer of foam. It’s commonly called the “Australian latte.”

Photo by Bex.Walton

Latte: A latte consists of 1/3 espresso, 2/3 hot milk, and a layer of foam. This should taste rich and velvety. Our favorite is a vanilla latte!

Photo by duncan

Cafe Mocha: A cafe mocha is the sweetest of the bunch with 1/6 cocoa, 1/3 espresso, 1/3 milk, and 1/6 foam. Cocoa is the first layer, a double shot of espresso second, and, lastly, steamed milk and foam with the consistency of a cafe latte.

Photo by ​Espresso Hobbyist

You can add flavoring, such as vanilla, caramel, or hazelnut, to any of these drinks! Now, you can order espresso drinks like a pro!

We are the SMU Team.