Carolyn Culbert: Owner of McCartney’s University Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Have you ever wondered where the sorority women of SMU get the pins they always wear? What about the neon SMU tanks that are nowhere to be found in the bookstore? Collegiate’s we have the answer, McCartney’s University Spirit. I had the chance to meet the upbeat and hard working owner of the store, Carolyn Culbert. Carolyn answered questions to give Her Campus readers more information about the unique local hot spot. If you haven’t already visited the store you can find it at 6407 HillCrest Avenue.

1. For those who do not know, what is McCartney’s?
McCartney’s (our formal name is McCartney’s University Spirit) is a specialty retail store for collegiate and Greek products; with added personalized, high school, summer camp and generic items too.

2. When was McCartney’s first opened?
This could be a long answer, so I will try to make it brief. When my Dad, Bill McCartney, was an SMU student he began selling very popular Balfour brand class rings as well as Greek items like blankets, mugs, with a rented out spot in the main SMU bookstore (the Umphrey Lee Building). By 1971, he had officially begun McCartney’s – including the manufacturing of collegiate and Greek jewelry that we sell to other collegiate businesses around the nation. My 3 siblings and I all worked part time in the business as SMU students and were all active in the Greek life (as our parents had been in the 1940s). We were classes of ’73,’74,’77, and ’78. By 1974 we moved out of the bookstore and have been across the street from the old Umphrey Lee bookstore spot ever since.

3. What are some of your best sellers in the store?
Hmm, best sellers over the summer have been all about the 80’s look of neon tanks, caps, and shorts. Now with fall here, we are selling a lot of quarter zip sweatshirts, Columbia fishing shirts and jackets.

4. Is there a way for out of state collegiate’s to order merchandise from the store?
Oh absolutely, we work consistently over the phone and by email taking orders to ship everywhere. We email photos, send samples, and more. It can be one item or hundreds. We LOVE out of state orders.  They are icing on the cake!

5. Is there special spirit wear for the upcoming fall and winter season?
We are super stocked up for SMU gear. SMU has such a great mascot and school colors-it is fun to have and sell!  I would say again the quarter zips, super soft V-necks, long sleeve T’s, and sweatshirts are really popular. Our customers love the feel of the items- so soft and comfy.

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.