This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Kira Plastinina is a global fashion designer and entrepreneur. She founded Kira Plastinina Style, with her first store opening in 2007 in Moscow, Russia. Her first collection came out when she was just 14. She graduated from SMU in 2014 and went on to get her M.B.A. from Columbia Business School in New York. She recently returned to Dallas as and adjunct professor teaching in the fashion media department at SMU. 

HCSMU: Welcome back to Dallas! What made you want to come back to SMU as an adjunct professor?

Kira Plastinina: The four years I had here were such a transformative experience, and I learned so much from them.  Both my grandmas were high school teachers and so I have a teaching gene in me. An academic environment is something I was always attracted to. My fiancé and I were in New York for two years and we missed Dallas because we had such a great time, and our network and most of our friends are here. SMU was such a big part of making Dallas happen for me, so I figured out a way to stay forever and give back to Dallas.  

HCSMU: How has SMU changed or not changed since you graduated?

KP: A really big change was the Starbucks at Fondren. Also, the new dorms and having students live in the dorms for two years is a change.

HCSMU: What were some of your favorite things about your time studying at SMU?

KP: I loved my sorority and all the friendships from it. I’m still extremely close with my big and my little. Also, the academic environment. I graduated summa cum laude with honors in communications.  

HCSMU: Why do you think the fashion media program at SMU is unique?

KP: Dallas is a secret fashion capital between Neiman Marcus and Forty Five Ten. Dallas is a major hub for retail with JC Penney and the Container Store. Therefore, there is this wealth of knowledge, talent, experience, and wisdom that the fashion media program can leverage. SMU is such a fashionable campus.

HCSMU: What can students expect if they take your class here?

KP: I reinvented the class slightly from what it was before. I’ve been doing fashion for over 10 years, so it’s beneficial to include what I’ve encountered over my years as a fashion designer. The class is more technical and challenging, but the final project that we’re doing will be useful to students. They are working on designing a mini collection and learning marketing, how to look for trends, mood boards, and at the end students will make a portfolio.

HCSMU: What is some advice you have for people wanting to work in the fashion industry?

KP: I think it’s important to stay on top of fashion news and what’s going on in the industry. There is so much disruption in the fashion industry with things like “see now, buy now,” the rise of technology, trunk shows etc. Second, fashion is a creative industry, you need to think true to yourself. Design clothes you like and would wear.

HCSMU: What is going on with your fashion business? Any other business plans? 

KP: I’m still involved but not involved with the day-to-day operations instead I’m more involved in a strategic position. We are now focusing primarily on the Russian market, and the operational efficiencies and sustaining them. In Dallas, I am working with a venture capital fund to launch new consumer brands, not just fashion brands. 

HCSMU: Was there a class you took at SMU that had a great impact on you?

KP: I really loved research for communications with Dr. Kirk. The knowledge I got from this class I still used today. I also really enjoyed the history of architecture class. Every semester I took an arts class to express my creativity. I did my honors thesis with Dr. Lynch for two semesters. I did it on my self-identity and myself as a brand.

HCSMU: How has SMU changed you as person?

KP: I am a completely different person than when I got to SMU. During my four years here there was lots of growth and development because of the community you get through SMU and people you meet.

HCSMU: What are your hopes for the fashion media program here? Growth? Change?

KP: I am really excited about the program here and I’m excited to grow it. I love my class and hope they love it. I’m having fun with it, and I think this class will keep getting better and better. I think there’s a lot of opportunity with Dallas being so central to fashion. I think the program will organically grow.

SaveSave

SaveSave

Christina is a sophomore at SMU studying Advertising and Fashion Media. When not writing, she enjoys cooking, exploring Dallas, and playing with her pug puppy, Stella. You can follow her on Instagram @prettylittlemyers. 
We are the SMU Team.