The Best Places to Road Trip to in the US

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Road trips with your friends can be a super fun, cheap, and easy alternative to flying somewhere for vacation. Pretty much anywhere, you can find cheap hotels or Airbnbs to stay in for your group of friends. I love a good road trip – they give me the opportunity to create an amazing playlist for the car, talk with my friends the entire way, and find cool places to go to in the towns we visit. I’ve compiled a list of my favorite places to drive to with my friends – the drives may be long, but I promise it’s worth it!

Telluride, Colorado 

Telluride is the ultimate destination if you’re looking for a cute, quaint town nestled in the mountains. In the summer, the weather is perfect for hiking, and in the winter the snow makes it so pretty – and perfect for skiing!

Yellowstone National Park 

Yellowstone is huge – it’s mainly in Wyoming, but small portions are also in Montana and Idaho. It’s so pretty and driving and hiking the park can fill up a few days’ worth of activities. 

The Grand Canyon 

This is probably something that’s on all of our bucket lists (if you haven’t done it already). There are tons of shops and places to stay nearby, and you can do multiple hiking trails through the canyon!

Gulf Shores, Alabama 

This is a great place to go if you live in Texas and want to drive to a beach, but Florida and California are too far. The beaches in Alabama are actually really pretty!

San Francisco, California 

This is one of my favorite cities in California. There’s so much to do, including going to the beach and crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. 

Grand Haven, Michigan 

This is a great place to go if you’re looking for a small town to road trip to, and I love Michigan. In my opinion, it’s so beautiful because it’s located on the shore of Lake Michigan!

Portland, Oregon 

Portland is so fun and unique – there are great restaurants, food trucks, hiking opportunities, and farmer’s markets. There’s just always a ton to do there. 

New Orleans, Louisiana 

New Orleans is a great place to go if you just want amazing food and a fun time. And, if you live in Texas, it’s an easy drive. 

Bar Harbor, Maine

This is one of the prettiest coastal towns in Maine, and it’s really close to Arcadia National Park!

Hopefully these places give you some fun inspiration and ideas for road trips with your friends! Whether you’re looking for a small town, big city, or just somewhere pretty, you can make a fun trip out of it. 

Ruthie is a junior at SMU studying Psychology, Spanish, and Neuroscience. Born and raised in Texas, she loves to travel and enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and spending time with friends.
We are the SMU Team.