This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Chances are, if you’ve been scrolling through insta recently, you’ve seen a girl rocking her newly done holographic nails. Like most trends these days , we can give all the credit to the lovely miss Gigi Hadid, who sported metallic nails at the 2016 Met Gala. Here she is pictured below, casually setting the nail world on fire. 

Photo via Instagram

So how is it done?

First, your nail technician (or yourself if you’re like crazy talented) will apply two coats of any gel color (depending on what shade of holographic you want), then she’ll apply a rubbery base coat. Next comes the fun part. She’ll apply a layer or two of holographic powder, and then simply dust of the excess. Voila! You have beautiful holographic nails.

Where can I find them near me?

Lush Nail Lounge on Lower Greenville offers these trendy nails for between $55 and $60, and Castle Nail Spa in Mockingbird Station has them for $50! These nails might not be the cheapest, but these prices look pretty good next to Gigi’s manicure, which cost about $2000.

Can I do them myself?

Why, yes you can! There are a bunch of different holographic nail polishes on the market right now. Now you can look trendy for a fraction of the price. 

If you’re feeling especially brave, you could also make your own holographic nail polish by mixing a clear nail polish with the holographic pigment. This method is defintely the cheapest way to get holographic nails, but it can get a bit messy. To avoid a holographic mess in your kitchen, pour the clear nail polish into an empty Bath and Body Works mini hand sanitizer, ang then add the pigment, and shake for 5 minutes. Then put the cap of the hand sanitizer back on, and squirt the mixture back into the clear nail polish bottle and paint your nails! 

SaveSave

SaveSave

Hi! I'm the beauty crazed one here at Her Campus SMU. But I also love food, coffee, shopping, traveling, laughing, and of course, writing. You can also find me rambling on about cosmetics and my dogs on my Youtube channel!
We are the SMU Team.