This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Remember during rush week when girls were having to wake up early and the anxiety of opening the schedule for that day seemed to consume everyone’s mind while the boys in the dorm were coming home at all hours of the night smelling of whiskey and strippers? Now that the stress of rush is over it’s time the boys experience the pains of pledge ship and the fun begins for all the new members! Probably one of the most anticipated moments after getting that bid card and seeing your new pledge class is finding out which active will be your big! Here are a few tips that will help you find the perfect family for you!

Tip #1: Keep an open mind. You thought after rush you would never have to hear that saying again. Wrong. When assigned your temporary big sis each week leading up to Big/Little reveal, make an effort to get to know that person. You’re best friend in the whole world might already be an active but if you just assume she will be your big sis, and you blow off the other actives then you might miss out on an opportunity to get closer to another girl in your sorority!

Tip #2: There is no calling dibs on actives. Everyone should be allowed to choose who they want as their big sis. Don’t discourage another one of your pledge sisters! You want to keep the peace within the class and don’t forget that there is such thing as TWINS!

Tip #3: Family resemblance is not a real thing. Do not pick a big sister because you think you look alike. If the big sis you choose HAPPENS to resemble you than that is completely fine. Yes, it is funny when family members tend to look a-like but it should not be a deciding factor of whether or not this active should be your big sis.

Tip #4: You’re picking a new sister. For all those who are only children, or only have male siblings this is a time for you to have the big sister you always wanted, or maybe didn’t want. Nevertheless it’s someone in your house you can look up to and rely on when you need family.

Entering into a new family is a journey only taken once. There is nothing quite as special as organizing a family dinner generations back. Hopefully these tips will help you make a decision on who you want to be your big sis in your sorority. Don’t forget, this is the girl who will be showering you with presents and who doesn’t love presents, right?