ABC’s “Single Parents” is Hilarious and Heartwarming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

The fall television season is winding down, and with that, it’s time to round out your list of must-watch shows. You might be anxiously awaiting new episodes of “Riverdale,” binging tear-jerkers like “The Good Doctor” and “Grey’s Anatomy,” or even laughing out loud to “The Good Place.” Yet, an underrated new sitcom has also caught my attention this season: “Single Parents.”

Image via Justwatch.com

Personally, I love sitcoms, especially when they involve dynamic casts. In this way, “Single Parents” delivers. Not only does the show commit to a star-studded cast of parents, but it also gets a lot of its comedic undertones and charm from the kids themselves.

The show begins with Will Cooper (played by the always hilarious Taran Killam), a single dad who is solely focused on raising his daughter (Marlow Barkley) – and not much else. When he meets the group of single parents (around whom our story revolves), they help him see that he can be a dedicated parent, but also have the ability to tackle dating, life and everything in between. The group consists of single mothers Angie and Poppy (Leighton Meester and Kimrie Lewis, respectively), a young single father Miggy (Jake Choi) and an older widowed single father Douglas (Brad Garrett).

The kids consist of Will’s daughter Sophie (Barkley), Angie’s needy son Graham (Tyler Wladis), Poppy’s fashion forward son Rory (Devin Trey Campbell) and Douglas’ devious twins Emma and Amy (Mia and Ella Allen, respectively).

Throughout the episodes so far, the dynamic between the characters is heartwarming, and there are of course, many funny moments. Lewis’ no-nonsense Poppy is the perfect contrast to Garrett’s hard-headed Douglas, who prides himself on being a static, unemotional, “show no weakness” kind of father, while Choi’s semi-clueless, yet lovable Miggy adds a unique perspective on the ups and downs of being a younger father (with the cutest little baby ever!). Even Wladis’ anxious Graham complements the Allen twins’ silly antics throughout the show, with Campbell’s Rory never failing to make a statement.

Aside from those moments, “Single Parents” also delivers deeper scenes. Viewers can’t miss the interconnectedness of the characters, and how they each help each other deal with the pain and hardships that ultimately come with being a single parent. My personal favorite episode, “Beyoncé Circa Lemonade,” finds Will struggling to let the pain of his ex-wife go, and Poppy is there to counsel him through it. In other areas, we can see Rory finding friends and father-figures in Will and Douglas, while Miggy is able to improve in his parenting skills by learning from the group. Angie even finds her voice about her struggles of single parenthood, while she learns that it is okay to admit that she has a responsibility to Graham first over her job.

From sleep training to Halloween costumes to flu season, “Single Parents” is a lighthearted, yet touching comedy that won’t disappoint. There are many funny moments throughout and mixed with the heartwarming instances of family values, I think this show makes for a good night in.

“Single Parents” airs Wednesdays 9:30|8:30c on ABC. 

Hannah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University studying English with a specialization in Creative Writing and Journalism. Being from California, she loves all things entertainment, TV, and movies. When she's not listening to music on her 300-song Spotify playlist, going with friends to trendy coffee shops, or quoting Gilmore Girls, she spends her time reading novels, and hopes to write one of her own.
We are the SMU Team.