This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

With all the awards shows going on, I have seen a lot of actors and actresses getting the recognition they deserve. I love watching television shows and movies all the time, it’s the perfect way to see some of my favorite celebrities in action, instead of in a beautiful outfit on the red carpet at the Oscar’s or Grammy’s. Since March is Women’s History Month, I thought I would showcase a few of my favorite female actresses in TV and film to honor some talented women!

Rachel McAdams

I am OBSESSED with her. Rachel is in a ton of my favorite movies, all of them showcasing her variety of roles, from Sasha in Spotlight and Ally in The Notebook. Her incredible performance in About Time is breathtaking, she can really play a wide range of characters. Her role in Mean Girls was such a classic, it was entertaining to see her portray a classic rude popular high schooler. 

Amy Poehler 

Amy Poehler is one of the funniest people in comedy. She was the highlight of the show, Parks and Recreation as Leslie Knope. Her sense of humor is so hilarious and unique, which was highlighted a lot also in her years on Saturday Night Live as a writer and cast member. She is so lighthearted and fun!

Viola Davis

Viola Davis is a true legend, she has been in such a variety of genres of film and TV. Her “no-nonsense” attitude in How to Get Away with Murder is so superior, sometimes I forget she is acting. I also really loved her bold and nurturing performance in The Help. She is for sure one of America’s treasures, making strides for black actresses everywhere. 

Margot Robbie

I love Margot Robby so much, she is in so many of my favorite films. Her role in the movie Bombshell was incredible, I feel like she played a very relatable role for women. She also killed it in The Wolf of Wall Street, showing how a trophy wife can be very powerful. She plays a lot of other diverse roles, such as Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad and Tonya Harding in I, Tonya. 

Emma Watson

I feel like a lot of people really got to see Emma Watson grow up in her role of Hermione in Harry Potter. We see her go from a little kid to a smart and mature young woman. Emma Watson is incredibly smart and talented, I admire her so much for balancing school and acting. She was perfect for the role of the wild child Sam in Perks of Being a Wallflower, as well as Belle in Beauty and the Beast

Zoe Saldana

Zoe has been in a variety of action movies, from Avatar to Guardians of the Galaxy. She really showcases how powerful and brilliant female heros can be. I really loved her as Nyota Uhura in the recent Star Trek movies. She is so gorgeous and I really admire her for never really playing the token “hot girl” in actions movies. 

Connie Britton 

I LOVE Connie Britton, she is in one of my favorites dramas ever, Friday Night Lights. She plays a coach’s wife, but accurately displays how a mom can rise as a strong leader in career settings. She also was one of the first people on the show American Horror Story. She is such a southern belle!

These are some of favorite actresses and each of them has a unique acting style and plays a wide range of different female roles. I admire a lot of these women and their work in cinematic and television history!

I am a sophomore at Southern Methodist University and I intend to double major in Public Relations and Political Communication with a minor in English. I am our chapter's Her Campus President and am so happy to be in a leadership role in a field I am passionate about! I am from Dallas, Texas and journalism has been a big part of my life all through high school and the years I have spent so far in college.