5 Women in Government that Give Us Hope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

2016 may have seemed like an unfortunate year for women in politics. We saw the possibility for the first female president slip away. Rumors of sexual assault have plagued political discourse, and news coverage reached peak sexism. Don’t fear though! There are plenty of women in government still fighting for equality. So, here are a few women in government that prove there’s still hope for female representation in government. 

1. Kirsten Gillibrand                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Senator Gillibrand is a progressive leader who represents the state of New York. Currently, she’s spearheading a campaign to end campus sexual assualt. Her Campus Accountability and Safety Act requires colleges to provide support services for sexual assualt survivors, and it increase accountability and transparency when it comes to reporting and investigating assault. This initiative is has garnered bipartisan support. She’s been able to join republicans and democrats in a common goal: making colleges safer.

2. Elizabeth Warren                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

This fireball represents Massachsetts in the United States Senate. She’s dedicated to promoting the welfare of the working class, and busting big bank corruption. She’s a fomer lawyer, and it definitely shows in her fearless, assertive rhetoric. To put it blatantly, Elizabeth Warren takes crap from no one. In the wake of the 2016 election, she’s promised to continue to be a voice for women and a huge check on Donald Trump’s authority.

3. Kamala Harris                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Harris is currently serving as attorney general of California and is slaying the game. In January, she will be the first Indian-American to ever serve in the Senate, and the second African American woman to serve. Like Warren, she’s dedicated to checking Trump when it comes to important issues, like immigration.

4. Tammy Duckworth                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Duckworth was elected to the Senate and will start serving in January. She’s an Iraq War veteran, and will be the first female senator with combat experience. She’ll be the first Thai-American to serve as a senator. She’s breaking down barriers when it comes to representation in government. 

5. Janet Yellen                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

This silver haired vixen is in charge of the Federal Reserve. As head of monetary policy, she makes important decisions regarding interest rates and the money supply. Yellen is literally one of the most powerful leaders in the world, since she controls one of the most powerful banking systems in the world. She’s been praised for consistent, erudite leadership. Yellen is an inspiration when it comes to women in economics and finance. 

SaveSave

Grace is a sophmore at SMU. Besides Her Campus, she's a member of the UHP, Sigma Phi Lambda, and the SMU Debate Team. 
We are the SMU Team.