5 Ways to Get Off Campus This Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

For those of us drowning in the midterm void, I have good news – Fall Break is coming to pull us out of the abyss! Fall Break is an extra long weekend (October 6-10) the school gives students so we can have a few days to heal our broken spirits and sore hands. Students have a few options for utilizing these extra days:

1. Recover from Austin City Limits Weekend 1
  2. Prepare for Austin City Limits Weekend 2
  3. Curl up in your bed and watch Netflix
  4. Do homework (not a good idea)
  5. TRAVEL!

If you’re smart, you’ll choose to travel. Of course, traveling over a long weekend requires your destination be relatively close, cheap enough for a college student’s budget, have a place to stay and things to do. Here are my recommendations for your Fall Break travel plans:

New Orleans

Most people don’t realize, but New Orleans is only about an hour flight from Dallas. It has a ton of great attractions that will make your trip worthwhile, and with the break in October, you won’t have to deal with the torturous humidity of a New Orleans summer. Hit up Frenchman Street, watch the Saints play, shop in the Garden District or get cultured at the New Orleans Museum of Art. There is never a shortage of things to do in NOLA. The best part is that Tulane University is right in the city, so there are tons of cheap eats and places to stay catering to college students and their bare wallets.

Photo courtesy of TripAdvisor

Go camping

Located just outside San Antonio, Lost Maples Natural Area is one of the best places in Texas to see some fall foliage. There are also great rock climbing spots, fishing, mountain climbing and water sports if you’re sick of looking at trees. Because of its popularity as a fall destination, your best bet will be camping, but there are some cheap options if you’re willing to drive a little bit.

Photo courtesy of Texas Parks and Wildlife Department

Possum Kingdom

North Texas gets a bad rep for not having a lot of nature activities. But Possum Kingdom offers everything you could need – a lake that’s big enough to feel like a beach, water sports, hiking and fishing. It’s only a few hours west of Dallas, but feels a world away.

Photo courtesy of Trip Advisor

Chicago

You all know Chicago, right? Well if you’ve never been, now’s your chance! Just a two-hour flight north, Chicago is an easily accessible, urban jungle without the stress of New York City. It’s got tons of lodging options, food options galore (hello, deep dish!) and enough attractions to make you dizzy. October is the best time to visit because you’ve missed the humidity of summer and it hasn’t transitioned into the dead of winter yet. And since it’s a huge city, there are a lot of flight options, so no need to worry about spending an arm and a leg for one weekend.

Photo courtesy of visittheusa.com

Dallas

If you really don’t want to leave the Big D, check out this article for some hidden Dallas gems to fill your long weekend.

Good luck with midterms! And enjoy your Fall Break!

GIF courtesy of giphy.com

Dalya is a senior at SMU studying Advertising and Jewish Studies. She is President of Advertising Club and Associate Editor of Her Campus SMU and is the social media coordinator for Intergem Fine Jewelry at Dallas Market Center. She is a proud born and bred Texan, an amatuer foodie, and takes her coffee black. 
We are the SMU Team.