5 Trends to try on the Boulevard this year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

You might never see an SMU student wearing a Mustangs t-shirt at a Boulevard, but you’ll certainly witness all of the latest fashion trends descending on Dallas Hall lawn. If you’re going dress shopping this week, keep and eye out for fun and funky pieces, because you’ll definitely want to stand out this Friday. So, mix it up from the typical sundress and boots and try some of these cool-girl trends!

Fringe

Fringe is such a fun way to add an unexpected touch and to stand out on the Boulevard! Try a fun fringe dress or add just a touch with a bag or necklace to look chic and trendy this year.

Boohoo Fringed Cami Mini Dress, $27, Asos

Off Color

Don’t get me wrong, I love my red and blue, but going a different shade every once in a while can really shake things up. To test out this trend shop for turquoise or powder blue jewelry or try an oxblood dress.

Keeley Tied Romper, $36, Tobi

Danielle Gold Earrings in Turquoise, $60, Kendra Scott

Maxi/Midi

So many girls stick to the standard short sundress, but midi skirts hitting just below the knee are all the rage right now. Pair it with a cute tucked-in tee and wedges to stand out at the next Boulevard, or if you want to opt for a longer silhouette, try a maxi with flat sandals to look effortlessly cool.

Royal Blue Two-Piece Midi Dress, $84, Lulu’s

Free People Front Tie Midi Dress, $158, Asos

Pants

Some of the best Boulevard ensembles I’ve seen have been done with pants or cute shorts. White jeans are always a good look at SMU, but you can also be fun and flirty with bright red, royal blue or distressed denim. Pair with neutral wedges and a flowy or cropped top for a fun alternative to the dress.

The Fifth Label Swordfish Jeans, $90, Forever 21

Forgo the Boots

Boots might be a Texas staple, but half of the time you’ll see girls in wedges or flat sandals, and maybe even some cool sneakers. So if cowboy boots aren’t your thing, don’t stress, just pick what fits your personality!

Bonelli in Taupe Suede, $129.95, Steve Madden

Donddi in Tan Leather, $59.95, Steve Madden

India is a former campus correspondent at Southern Methodist University and a former national news blogger at HerCampus.com. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @IndiaPougher!