5 Things I Learned at my First Boulevard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

When I first came to college, I heard that game day is no joke. And while I’m not a sports junkie, I can definitely appreciate some football, so I was psyched for my first home game. But here at SMU, there’s one thing we take even more seriously than the sport: Boulevarding.

Ah, yes, Boulevarding: that SMU tradition where fans, alumni, and students line Bishop Boulevard to tailgate the Mustang way. But there a few crucial things to know before taking to the Boulevard that I learned that hard way:

1. Dressing up is no joke

Multiple people told me “everyone dresses up for the boulevard.” I nodded politely, but inside I shrugged off their advice. Maybe I was naïve, or maybe it was because I’m not a Texan, but I had a hard time believing anyone actually dressed up for a football game. Boy was I wrong. The Boulevard is the one of the best dressed events at SMU (second only to presentations at Cox School of Business). I showed up in a tank top and shorts, and felt insanely underdressed compared to all of the experienced tailgaters in dresses and cowgirl boots.

2. Free stuff is everywhere

Yes, there are things for sale on the Boulevard, but why pay for what you can get for free? Tons of businesses show up to the Boulevard to give out free samples or full size versions of their products. You can even snag some free food! It’s totally worth it to bring a bag to collect your goodies, or budget time to stop by your dorm/car to drop them off before the game.

3. You have to fight for that Peruna pic

Peruna is a magnificent tiny horse. He’s majestic, feisty and incredibly photogenic. And he’s on the Boulevard! There’s normally a little bit of a line to snap a picture with Peruna, but he’s definitely worth the wait. At my first Boulevard, I kept thinking, “I’ll go back later” and never got my picture with SMU’s beloved pony. I totally wish I had just waited! I still get super jealous whenever I scroll past Peruna pictures on Instagram.

4. Be responsible/conscious

There is alcohol on the Boulevard. There’s no way to avoid the subject. But you know what else is on the Boulevard? Cops. And they’re looking for drunk minors. The Boulevard can definitely be enjoyed whilst sober, so underage drinking really isn’t worth the risk. And whether you’re drinking or not, it’s important to remember to be aware of your surroundings. Not everyone is consuming responsibly, so be on the lookout for anyone in need of assistance or who might be a danger to themselves/others. The rules for partying apply here.

5. Go to the freaking game afterwards

The fun doesn’t end when the game starts! The point of tailgating is to celebrate game day- so get excited to watch your school play! Even though SMU doesn’t have a reputation for fantastic football, games are super exciting. And our team has been having a surprisingly decent season. Don’t miss out on historic moments, or the chance to bond with the rest of the SMU community. And admittance to the game is free with your student ID! 

SaveSave

Grace is a sophmore at SMU. Besides Her Campus, she's a member of the UHP, Sigma Phi Lambda, and the SMU Debate Team. 
We are the SMU Team.