Style

5 Brands That Are Sustainably Producing Face Masks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

To say 2020 has been a crazy year would be an understatement – who would’ve thought that the number one fashion accessory this summer would be face masks? When I first heard that the CDC recommended wearing face coverings in public, I was buying large packs of disposable ones. However, these disposable masks cost much more money than I wanted to spend, got dirty very quickly, and are harmful for the environment. I’ve recently invested in several reusable face masks and feel that they’re important to have for several reasons. It’s important to make sure you always have a few masks on hand to go with your different outfits or give to a friend who forgot theirs, and to have a few extra in your car or backpack in case you forget to throw one on when you leave for class in a hurry. Plus, reusable masks are eco-friendlier!

During the pandemic, it’s essential that we do as much as we can to prevent the spread of COVID and take care of ourselves while doing so; however, it’s also important to remember that there are so many ways in which we can look out for others who are less fortunate than us right now, too. Buy being socially conscious when shopping for our face masks, we can do this in a variety of ways, such as buying eco-friendly masks or donating some to essential workers and those who can’t afford them. Just wearing a mask is so important in order to protect yourself and others, but I thought that we could take it a step further by looking into some ethically made masks as well! Check out a few of the brands I’ve found that are sustainably producing cute face coverings. 

Hackwith Design House

Hackwith Design House ethically makes their products by hand and works to reduce waste by not making many of their clothes/accessories until you order them. For just $13, you can buy a 100% cotton mask, and 10% of all sales are donated to the Domestic Abuse Project. You can also specify on your order if you want to donate masks to essential workers! And, they’re made from the CDC-recommended patterns, some with ties and other with elastic loops. There are also pleated or molded masks, and in several different colors. 

Haley Solar

Haley Solar is a company that encourages consumers to shop consciously, and values buying eco-friendly, USA-made, women-owned, and black-owned products. They’re selling reusable masks in several cute patterns that are all made by hand with re-claimed fabrics. The masks are individually made by various local artisans that use eco-friendly dying techniques. The company itself also sells tons of other ethically and sustainably made clothes and accessories and works to educate and support the local community!

Known Supply

Known Supply values sustainability and meaningful employment, and is making face masks in several colors using fair trade practices. They work with underserved populations in order to provide meaningful jobs and emphasize the value that clothing and accessory purchases can have, if done consciously. Their masks are also eco-friendly, made using upcycled fabric from some of the company’s t-shirts!

Etsy

Etsy is one of my favorite online stores – it supports local businesses and has a seemingly endless supply of cute accessories and clothes! When I was looking for cute masks to buy before I came back to school, I looked on Etsy first, and was not disappointed. Tons of small businesses and artists are making cute face masks at great prices. If you want a hand-made mask and like having lots of choices, Etsy is the place for you. 

Tonlé

Tonlé is a zero-waste company making clothing and accessories with upcycled materials. Their aims include changing the wastefulness of the fashion industry and working to be eco-friendly. Their masks have three layers of quilted cotton, which is the recommended method for making reusable masks. They also have ties instead of elastic and come in a variety of patterns!

Hopefully, these brands give you just a few ideas of how to shop for cute, affordable, and ethically-made masks. Happy shopping! 

Ruthie is a junior at SMU studying Psychology, Spanish, and Neuroscience. Born and raised in Texas, she loves to travel and enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and spending time with friends.
We are the SMU Team.