5 Acts of Kindness You Can Do This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

During the holiday season, life can often be stressful and overwhelming. It is easy to be preoccupied with everything going on in our lives, but it is important to remember to be kind even at life’s most hectic times. This is the season of giving, after all. I challenge you to try to do a random act of kindness everyday, even if this just means smiling or opening a door for someone. I encourage you to do one of the following acts of kindness, or all five!

1. Buy the coffee for the person behind you in line at Starbucks. Something as simple as this can brighten someone’s day.

2. Donate a Christmas food basket to your local parish complete with canned goods, including ham, veggies, beans, fruits, dessert, instant coffee, rolls, paper plates and napkins. Pack it in a laundry basket and top it with a bow!

3. Donate towels, toys, or a bag of dog food to a local animal shelter.

4. Donate a new, unwrapped toy to the Toys for Tots Campaign.

5. Contact a local nursing home and ask if any residents are in need of Secret Santa. Many seniors lack basic necessities like cotton t-shirts, socks, slippers, toiletries, or a throw blanket.

If you are short on cash or time, then remember to simply smile and wish the people you meet a merry Christmas. Regardless of the holiday they celebrate, the sentiment is what counts.

We are the SMU Team.