alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Fashion

4 Unconventional DIY Costumes for the Cartoon Network Fangirl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Listen, you can always tell who grew up watching the Cartoon Network. We can withstand the grotesque and tend to be a little screwy (in the best way). Those PBS kids, they’re wholeseome, and unmarked…

But no matter what, Cartoon Network millenials: we’re a family. We connect on a basic level. That’s why I’m here to make Halloween that much better. Here are four DIY costume ideas that throw gender rules to the wind. Who needs those any more? Plus, they’ll definitely have you recieving daps from fellow fans and making new bosom friends by the end of the night. 

Let’s get wierd! 

1. Him from “The Powerpuff Girls”

The nefarious cross-dressing villian on “The Powerpuff Girls” makes for a unique and dynamic DIY costume. Secondary in fame to Mojo Jojo, this sinister character still packs a punch. Also, the creator, Craig McCracken, revealed that ‘Him’ is actually Satan. So, if you want a spin on the “Sexy Devil” costume, here it is. With tall thigh high boots, makeup on point, and a cunning smile, you can only do right…or wrong (but right).

You’ll need:

2. Johnny Bravo from “Johnny Bravo”

The dapper yet obnoxious Johnny Bravo makes for an easy DIY costume. The only effort here is flexing your guns and getting that sky high pompadour just right. You can also use this as a valid excuse to hit on cuties…I mean you gotta stay in character, right? 

You’ll need:

3. Dexter from “Dexter’s Laboratory” 

The evil genius with a beautiful laugh. Why wouldn’t you want to dress up as this childhood favorite? It’s an easy costume but most importantly, you can go around blurting “omelette du fromage,” and say that you know French. That’s how you know you’ve arrived. (Just don’t talk to anyone who actually knows french!)

You’ll need:

4) Johnny 2×4 from “Ed, Edd, and Eddy”

This side character in psychedelic “Ed, Edd and Eddy” lives in his own world. His best friend is a plank with drawn on eyes and mouth. Largely percieved as an annoyance, Johnny 2×4 gets little love. Let’s be real though, for those of us who grew up with the 90’s Cartoon Network, Johnny 2×4 and Plank were iconic. Why not rep the underdog for Halloween? Plus, you’ll get to carry around a plank. I can’t imagine what kind of shenanigans that’ll induce.

You’ll need:

And, there you have it: four unconventional DIY costume ideas for the hard core Cartoon Network fan. Have fun subverting expectations, but most importantly, channel the spirt of Cartoon Network for Halloween. Your fellow CN lovers will thank you.

We are the SMU Team.