This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Hey collegiettes, listen up! November 8 is election day and Her Campus wants to make sure you’re registered and ready to share your voice. That’s why we’ve launched the #OurVoteCounts initiative! Her Campus has teamed up with over 50 other women’s brands with the goal of getting 100,000 women to register to vote in the 2016 election.

SMU is also dedicated to getting you ready to vote. That’s why we’ve been having Voter Registration Drive events all over campus. The events are a group effort from 13 SMU student organizations and they’re nonpartisan. The goal is to get the SMU student body registered and ready to participate on November 8.  

(Thanks to SMU Senior Dominique Earland for the photos of the Voter Registration Drive!) 

Sure, there are reasons to sit this election out. Voter registration can be overwhelming, and in a state like Texas, it’s easy to think your vote doesn’t count. Well, think again. College students are an important voter bloc. In fact, students were the decisive factor in the 2012 presidential election. According to a study from Tufts University’s Center for Information & Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, Barack Obama was able to win the swing states of Ohio, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Florida, and the election by gaining the support of college students. (Read the whole study here.) That’s right- the election was decided by students just like you. Still don’t think it’s worth your time to register? Well here are a few more reasons to cast a ballot in November.  

1. Impact the future: This election will directly affect you. Worried about student loans? How about finding a job once you graduate? Taxes? Even if you’re not interested in international affairs or complicated economic policy, you should be interested in this election.  Dominqiue Earland, one of the organizers of the SMU Voter Registration Drive argues, “Your vote is your voice… We wanted to encourage all students to vote, especially those who feel marginalized. Discouraged Americans have right to feel these emotions, but it should not be at the expense of silencing their voice…Even though this election season has many Americans discouraged about politics and government, we have to remember our vote can improve this. I hope people don’t forget the power they possess.” It’s no secret that this election has been controversial. There is no doubt that some may have watched debates and interviews, and walked away feeling more alienated from the political process. This is all the more reason to use your voice. Instead of being discouraged by this election, take advantage of your chance to affect real change.  Of course, you’ll need to research to know about the issues and where the candidates stand, and it’s hard to find a neutral source. Don’t worry! You can go to Ballotpedia to find nonbiased information about all of the candidates!

2. Vote for your representation in Congress: The presidency isn’t the only office up for grabs! There are 34 Senate seats up for reelection, (check here to see if your state will be voting for Senate) and you’ll also have the chance to vote for your representative in the House. These elections might seem less important, but they’re actually crucial. Your congressperson is your direct link to public policy. They’re the people actually making laws and decisions on your behalf. They represent you and your community- so you better make sure someone great gets the gig! 

3. Vote for changes to the law: That’s right- you don’t just vote for people! Your state’s ballot might also include amendments to the state constitution or changes in state law. For example, 10 states will vote on measures regarding marijuana, 5 states will vote on minimum wage changes, 5 states will rule on health care, and 4 states will vote on gun reform. Don’t miss your change to share your voice. Even if you hate all of the candidates for president, or think it’s not worth your time to vote for your congressperson, you should still head to the polls on November 8. Depending on where you’re registered, you might be able to vote to monumentally change the law.

4. Send a message: Know that your vote does count, even in a state presumed to be “solidly red’ or “solidly blue.” To quote SMU Junior Fairooz Adams, an organizer and volunteer of the Voter Registration Drive, “Our state has not always been solidly red… The reason Democrats don’t win in Texas isn’t because Texas is overwhelming Republican. Democrats lose in Texas because their voters don’t show up at the polls.” States are only “solid states” as long as people believe that their vote doesn’t matter.

So, now you’re super excited to vote, right? But registering to vote can be confusing, especially if you’re a college student living far from home. Don’t fret- Her Campus has got you covered. There’s a voter registration widget under this article (and every Her Campus article) to help you get started. Just click on your state to get linked with the instructions for registering and an online registration form, if available. Registering to vote only takes a few minutes- but the impact of your vote could last generations. 

SaveSave

SaveSave

Grace is a sophmore at SMU. Besides Her Campus, she's a member of the UHP, Sigma Phi Lambda, and the SMU Debate Team. 
We are the SMU Team.