3 Lies You’ve Been Told About Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Our perception of government is based on stereotypes. Whether your ideas come from sensational headlines, Scandal, or mudslinging ad campiagns, you’ve probably heard some really depressing stuff. However, the truth is a lot more complicated. Politics can be really dramatic, or dirty, or dull- like the stereotypes- but public policy is so much more than what the media shows. Let’s break down some typical lies about politics. 

1. Everything is super boring. 

Ok, so this can be the case. At times, you can turn on CSPAN and see an empty Senate floor. But this is because more and more action is happening behind the scenes. Nowadays, the floor is mostly used for votes, speeches aimed at constituents, and the occasional debate. But super exciting stuff can happen in Congressional Chambers. Check out the gun control-sit in where represenatives and senators protested on the House floor to advocate for gun control measures. Or, check out the time a senator threw a snowball on the Senate floor to disprove climate change. And no, I’m not kidding. 

2. Everyone is cutthroat. 

Political dramas definitely contribute to this idea. Yes, sometimes politics can be emotional, competitive and incredibly personal. But not everyone in Washington hates each other. Even people with radically different ideologies can foster good relationships. For example, late Justice Scalia and Justice Ginsburg were notoriously good friends, even though they had radically different political beliefs. Ginsburg said herself, “We were best buddies.” While not every example of cooperation is that radical, it shows a common spirit of cooperation. You just don’t see cooperation that often in media because, let’s face it, it doesn’t make for great TV. 

3. Everything moves incredibly slow. 

Congress is infamous for gridlock and slow action. It can be tempting to believe this happens because politicans are lazy, but normally something will move slow because it is subject to fierce debate. The Senate’s purpose, as put forth by the founding fathers, is to slow bills down so they can be thoughtfully considered. If a bill is moving slowly, it might be because it’s controversial, and a lot of people care whether or not it’s well-crafted. Of course, there are times where Congress has acted incredibly fast as well.

Images: 1, Box-Night%20(4)%20via%20photopin%20(license)“> 3,

• facts
  • government
  • lies
  • politics
  • Grace is a sophmore at SMU. Besides Her Campus, she's a member of the UHP, Sigma Phi Lambda, and the SMU Debate Team. 
    We are the SMU Team.