3 Celebrity Bands That You Need on Your Radar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, when you have a new television show obsession or celebrity crush – you want to follow everything they’re doing. Whether it’s their travels, their time with the cast, or even what they do every day that makes them “just like us” – they’re fun to keep up with. And while they already have more exciting lives than us  – some actors are multi-talented and have even earned their place in the music industry as well.

Here are three bands with some of our favorite actors that you need to check out:

1. Post Animal

If you have Netflix and don’t live under a rock, you’ve probably binge-watched Stranger Things – the sci-fi series that took the world by storm and has viewers itching for a season two. Joe Keery, who plays Steve Harrington in the 80s-set show, is a star on the rise for his charismatic and goofy character – but he has some other talents that are worth noting (in addition to his leading Ferris Bueller portrayal in Domino’s newest commercials). Joe Keery also spends his time playing guitar for his rock and roll psych band Post Animal. The band is based out of Chicago and is now touring around the U.S. Get your fix of Steve Harrington and Stranger Things by listening to Post Animal’s music!

2. Wallows

Another series that has the whole world talking right now is the Netflix sensation 13 Reasons Why. Starring a boy who receives 13 tapes from a friend who committed suicide, actor Dylan Minnette brings character Clay Jenson to life in the series revolving around Hannah Baker and the reasons why she killed herself. Minnette has had other roles in Hollywood (remember him as Todd Lyons in The Clique movie?), but much like Joe Keery, is now on the rise and on everyone’s radar. One thing that might not be on your radar, though, is that Minnette plays guitar and sings vocals for his band Wallows – which just released their first single “Pleaser” on Spotify. It’s just the beginning for Minnette, but I expect great things from him in the acting AND music industry.

3. Dead Man’s Bones

Now, this last one may be considered old news, but it’s more relevant than ever. After the magical and musical goodness that is “La La Land” – it was brought to light that Ryan Gosling has some serious skills that I merely considered a hobby or just plain luck. Apparently, this isn’t the first of Gosling’s dedication to music, though – as Gosling started Indie rock band Dead Man’s Bones with friend Zach Shields in 2007. In this rock duo, Gosling performs under the alias “Baby Goose” and has been known to sing vocals and play guitar, piano, and bass guitar for the band. While their latest activity was being featured in the 2013 “Conjuring” soundtrack – I have hope they’ll return with more content after Gosling’s Hollywood musical debut. 

Happy listening, y’all! 

We are the SMU Team.