nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Places to Study Other Than Fondren During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

During the week leading up to finals, and in the midst of finals season, Fondren Library can get noisy, even in the designated quiet areas. When you are stressed, tired and ready for Christmas break, you don’t want to have to deal with a stressful, noisy study space on top of everything else. That is why we have compiled a list of spaces on and off campus that are alternatives to studying at Fondren, that still offer a quiet space, food, or a great group project work space.

On campus:

1. Underwood Law Library

2. Lawyers Inn- You can order food here that is a nice change from the dining hall meals (they take flex, cash, or credit card).

3. Bridwell Library- One of the quieter library’s on campus, filled mostly with grad-students, this library has the comfiest chairs too! 

4. Common’s study rooms- Some Residential Commons have a designated quiet study room and many people never use these during finals, because they assume the rooms are already taken. Claim one of these rooms in the morning if you can, and you will have it to yourself for hours.

5. Rent a study room in Cox- These usually aren’t full because a lot of non-business school students do not know they exist!

Off Campus:

1. Royal Blue Market- This grocery store has great outdoor and indoor seating with coffee and food for study breaks.

2. Union Coffee House- This coffee house has great coffee to make studying a little more bearable.

3. Sip Stir- this coffee house might not be the quietest, but it is not nearly as loud as Fondren Starbucks.

4. Mudsmith- cute coffee shop to balance out your not-so-cute- 200 term Quizlet.

5. Toasted- this place is a great spot to get a group project done, while enjoying every variation of toast you can imagine.

If you’re not sure about all your options, try our list of the pros and cons of studying in Dallas coffee shops. 

Make sure to find a few study spots that are your go-to’s during finals season, and don’t forget to take breaks to eat, sleep, exercise and take care of yourself! Good luck y’all!

Karna is a Junior at Southern Methodist University studying Public Relations, Advertising, and English. She is the Social Media Director for Her Campus SMU, as well as a member of STUMO and Alpha Chi Omega. She is from Orange County, California and loves going to the beach and spending time with her younger sisters when visiting home. When she is not studying, Karna is usually exploring Dallas, listening to country music, or updating her blog, Simply Karna.
We are the SMU Team.