10 Life Lessons from ‘How I Met Your Mother’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Every person under the age of 25 knows how important “How I Met Your Mother” is to our generation. However, it’s not only a classic, it also has some great life quotes. So whenever you’re feeling sad or like you don’t know how to handle life, here are the top quotes from some of your favorite characters.

Image via Fanpop

1. “If you’re not scared, you’re not taking a chance. If you’re not taking a chance, then what the hell are you doing?” – Ted Mosby (Season 5, Episode 1). You’re never going to get anywhere by not taking chances, chances are what move you forward. Take the chance and be scared, because that’s how you’ll get the best of what you want.  
  2. “Because sometimes even if you know how something’s going to end, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the ride” – Ted Mosby (Season 2, Episode 14). Life is about enjoying the ride, and not everything is meant to last forever. And that’s okay. Take what life will give you and enjoy it while you can.  
  3. “The future is scary, but you can’t just run back to the past because it’s familiar. Yes, it’s tempting, but it’s a mistake” – Robin Scherbatsky (Season 6, Episode 24). The past is nice because you know what will happen, but you’ll never get to anywhere better if all you do is dwell on the past. Take what comes and embrace it for all its potential.  
  4. “That’s life, you know. We never end up where we thought we would be.” – Marshall Eriksen (Season 2, Episode 17). Sometimes you have large plans for life and they all come crashing down, but that’s how you make room for something better than what you imagined.   
  5. “So really the biggest mistake would be not to make that mistake, because then you’ll go your whole life not knowing if something was a mistake or not.” – Lily Aldrin (Season 1, Episode 21). Even though sometimes you know something won’t work out the way you want, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try. You should lay everything on the table sometimes because it’s better to look back and know you tried than to wonder what if.  
  6. “If you have chemistry you only need one other thing. Timing, but timing’s a bitch” – Robin Scherbatsky (Season 7, Episode 1). Sometimes you can have strong feelings for someone, and I completely believe in working for what you want, but sometimes things aren’t meant to be at a specific time. So never dwell on someone not being ready for how great you are.  
  7. “Sometimes things have to fall apart to make for better things” – Ted Mosby (Season 6, Episode 23). Like Marshall’s quote, life never turns out how you want, but that’s how you make room for better things. Sometimes you get in a spot of complacency and don’t realize that changes could be better than you imagined.  
  8. “Sometimes we search for one thing but discover another” – Barney Stinson (Season 3, Episode 14). Things always come around when you least expect it, so embrace the ride, and enjoy things as they come.  
  9. “Look, you can’t design your life like a building. It doesn’t work that way. You just have to live it… and it’ll design itself” – Lily Aldrin (Season 4, Episode 24). You can never plan for everything so do what you can and forgive the things and people that don’t do what you want.  
  10. “You may think your only choices are to swallow your anger or throw it in someone’s face, but there’s a third option: you can just let it go, and only when you do that is it really gone and you can move forward” – Ted Mosby (Season 4, Episode 6). Anger is hard, it’s easy to hold on to, but holding onto it is harder for you than whoever you are angry at. So let go and move on when you’re ready.

“How I Met Your Mother” has taught us so many life lessons, embrace them and don’t forget how important the show is.

Courtney is a junior at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Marketing with a concentration in entrepreneurship and a Spanish and advertising minor. Lover of puppies, writing, How I Met Your Mother, and anything crafty. When she's not attending one of a hundred meetings, you can find her wrapped up in bed pretending to work while really editing Spotify playlists or watching Hart of Dixie.
We are the SMU Team.