This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Reading can be a way for people to escape to other worlds, to become new people. With that said, there are some books that all college aged girls should read, due to their inspiring and instructive nature.

Why Not Me by Mindy Kaling

Mindy Kaling’s second book is a great source of inspiration and motivation, as she details her process of getting her tv show on the air. This book’s humorous tone and messages about life make it a can’t miss book for college aged girls.

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid

Such a Fun Age is the story of a young black women who gets racially profiled while babysitting one night, and the complex relationship that follows with the mother of the child afterword. It’s eye-opening, intriguing, and is something that should be at the top of every college aged girls to read list.

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

Ng’s novel Little Fires Everywhere swept the world off its feet, becoming a bestseller and a miniseries on Hulu, and is an amazing story of class differences, and is amazing in its own right. But it is her debut novel that should be required reading for all young women. It’s discussions of race, immigrants, sexuality, and career politics make it a truly important book, and something that everyone should read.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

This is the story of Cheryl Strayed’s hike through the Pacific Crest Trail, which is one of the United States’ longest and most difficult trails. She embarks on this trip after her mother’s death, and it is the perfect tale of starting again when you feel like you have nothing, when you want to give up.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

This book is a classic dating back to its 1868 publication, and for good reason. It’s the story of four sisters who lived during the Civil War era, and it is a classic tale filled with love, heartbreak, and most of all, the bond between sisters.

Yes, Please by Amy Poehler

Amy Poehler, a certified queen of comedy, is another example of a memoir that can help women to feel confident and powerful in their own skin, able to own their own greatness. With life lesson and stories from her time on such shows as Saturday Night Live and Parks and Recreation, this book is a must read.

Modern Love edited by Daniel Jones

This book is a collection of some of the most popular column entries in the New York Time’s column Modern Love. The reason it is a great book for girls to read is the fact that it deals with stories of people from all backgrounds, ages, genders, sexualities, and more, making it an extremely diverse set of stories. 

Shrill by Lindy West

Shrill is a memoir about feminism, but more specifically, the idea that feminists can’t be funny. West quickly rebuts this claim and shows the world what can happen when we let women have an equal voice in the comedic arena, while also sharing important life lessons along the way.

Playing with Matches by Hannah Orenstein

This book follows Sasha, a recent NYU grad, who finds herself unexpectedly getting a job as a matchmaker, and whose life turns upside down with a betrayal in her personal life. This novel is a must read for college aged girls due to its overarching theme of finding yourself and learning to embrace the unexpected. 

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Everyone has at least heard of Pride and Prejudice, but in Austen’s last and most mature novel, it is where girls can truly relate. It tells the story of Anne Elliot, who is conflicted when her former fiancé comes back from his time in the Navy. She begins to investigate whether or not she made the right decision in breaking it off. This book deals with love, heartbreak, and so much more, making it an excellent read.

So, there you have it, ten great books for all college aged girls to read! Hopefully, you can find something you are interested in reading on this list and can be as inspired by these books as I have been. 

Natalie Clark is a junior at Southern Methodist University, majoring in English and Political Science on the Pre-Law track. She is a firm believer in a good nap. In her spare time, she likes to read, play tennis, and hang with friends. Instagram: @natclark424
We are the SMU Team.