SAAC VP- Tori Brown ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Smith chapter.

Name: Tori BrownYear: JuniorHouse: WilsonMajor: ChemistryHometown: Frederick, MD

What is SAAC/what does SAAC do?

SAAC stands for Student Athletic Advisory Committee. We try to make academics and athletics as seamless as possible for our student-athletes and we try to promote athletic events to increase awareness on campus.

How did you become involved with SAAC?As a first year, I wanted to join something that would help me make a difference on campus and become more involved as a student athlete, so when my softball coach offered the opportunity to be a representative for softball, I jumped on that chance.

What is your favorite part about being on SAAC?

My favorite part of being on this committee is our color run that we orchestrate along with the Athletic Association every fall! It’s a fun way to get everyone on campus involved.

Why did you pick Smith?

I picked Smith because I felt the most comfortable here when I came to visit. Everyone, including the softball coach and the team, was so inviting that it felt like I didn’t really want to be anywhere else.

Do you think Smith is unique in the way it treats student-athletes?

I feel that Smith is unique in the fact that it holds our athletes to a higher standard than that of the NCAA. I think this is a great way to encourage student-athletes to make connections with their professors and that really allows the faculty to also be a part of athletics on campus. 

What are the worst/best parts about being a student-athlete?

Being a student-athlete means that you will always have an excuse to wear sweatpants day-in and day-out, you are always hungry and sleep whenever you get the chance, but I believe that this promotes a more healthy and well-rounded lifestyle.

What is your advice to athletes trying to manage academics?MAKE SURE YOU GET ENOUGH SLEEP!! I know it’s not always possible, but try to be nice to yourself and get at least 6-7 hours of sleep whenever possible!

What are your future plans?

My future plans are to continue my education by going to medical school with the ultimate goal of becoming a pediatric surgeon.

Ruth is a Jersey Girl born and raised and a proud sophomore at Smith. She plays softball for the Smith varsity softball team, is a SGA Senator, is a blogger for Smith Admissions' blog, is the Treasurer for the Smith Democrats, and is a Government and Economics major.
Liberty is the Cofounder of the Smith College branch of Her Campus and a member of the class of 2017. At Smith, Liberty is an economics and medieval studies double major and competes on Smith's equestrian team. Outside of school, she has a talent for sarcasm and baking, and lives for long walks on the beach with her dogs. Liberty hopes that she will one day shatter the glass ceiling and dares anyone to try to stop her.