This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Smith chapter.

What’s your favorite thing about study abroad so far?

Living in a foreign country for a year — in a place where I knew no one, did not speak the language fluently, and had to adjust to a different set of cultural customs– has been quite a tremendous opportunity. My favorite thing is exactly that: being able to experience a different way of life, being on my own, making a new set of friends and establishing a new routine, while also learning a lot about myself and the type of person I am. While it was definitely nerve wracking to adjust to a different way of life, it also ended up being one of my favorite things about studying abroad (and probably the most important!). Also, there’s nothing quite like walking around in a bustling, cosmopolitan city! Coming from a small town, I always enjoy the energy and constant people-watching Barcelona provides.

What’s your living situation like?

I live with a host family (a mother and her two daughters) in their apartment, located just five minutes away from the beautiful Sagrada Familia. Living with a host family means I am able to constantly practice my Spanish, eat typical food from the region, and ask questions about life in Spain. Living with a host family definitely makes me feel like I am really getting the true experience of being in Barcelona.

How is the academic environment different than Smith?

I am taking classes with the other Americans in my program, at the Universitat de Barcelona. The classes are in Spanish, by Spanish professors. The workload is much lighter than Smith (no surprise there!) and I’m learning about the Spanish language, political scene, and history of the country.

Nora Turriago is a sophomore at Smith College, where she studies history and government. She is the News Editor of Her Campus Smith.