Get Sprung on Spring: 6 Ways to Enjoy the Warm Weather at Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Smith chapter.

At long last, spring has arrived! We did it, Smithies—after enduring possibly the longest winter in recorded history, our long wait has been rewarded with blasts of sunshine, warm breezes, and the charming squawks of birds outside your window at 7:30 am. Here are some easy ways for Smithies to make the most out of the warm weather. 

1. Go out on Paradise Pond

Not only is Paradise Pond pretty to look at, but there’s also lots of fun activities you can do out on the water. Stop by the boat house (hours are 1-5 pm) and try your hand at kayaking, canoeing, or paddle boarding. Make sure to bring your ID and a friend along!

2. Take a nature walk

Smith has some great trails that are perfect for enjoying the sights of spring while also getting in some physical activity. If you want to add an extra dose of creativity to your hike, it’s always fun to sketch or photograph the nature around you. Bonus points if you write a nature haiku!

3. Host an outdoor picnic

Invite your housemates to lap up the warm rays while enjoying a meal. Make sure to have a comfy blanket and some relaxing tunes, then dig in.

4.Tan on Chapin lawn

Had a long class? Feeling stressed? For a quick fix, stop by Chapin lawn and just chill. Find a good sunny spot, lie down, and relax. If you’ve had a particularly grueling day, reward yourself with a yummy smoothie from the Campus Center.

5. Explore downtown Noho

Take a break from the Smith bubble and head downtown! Check out any musical events or outdoor spring sales that might be happening. Make sure to grab a frozen yogurt as you enjoy your stroll.

6. Enjoy the Smith Botanic garden

Nothing will get you more in the springtime mood than checking out the Botanical garden! With thousands of plants, as well as comfortable benches, the garden makes it easy to enjoy all that nature has to offer. To get a closer look at the beautiful flowers, check out the Lyman plant house and conservatory, open from 8:30 am until 4:00 pm

Nora Turriago is a sophomore at Smith College, where she studies history and government. She is the News Editor of Her Campus Smith.