diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A First Year’s Guide to Surviving Your First Semester at Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Smith chapter.

1. The friends you meet in orientation will not necessarily be your friends two months later. You will likely expand your friend group. The friends you meet in orientation might be your best friends in college, or they might lead you to your life-long friends. You shouldn’t regret or feel guilty about not keeping up with or maintaining all the friendships you made during orientation. Wish them well on their path and support them, and know they were in your life for a little while for a reason!  

2. Know that your first semester, no matter where you go, can be hard and difficult, yet it can also be amazingly fun and exciting. There will be a period of transition, and keep in mind that the second semester will likely be better!

3.  Roommates. If you’ve never lived with one- now is your opportunity to. Know that if it is not working out, no matter how much work you both put into it, you have the ability to change your roommate. But also remember that this is one of the greatest opportunities for learning: Examining how your behavior affects someone else’s.

4. Even if you and your roommate are best buds from day one, remember to branch out. Try to maintain a healthy social life, and cultivate a plethora of people who inspire you, provoke healthy thoughts and energies, and help you to be brave. College is often where you will meet friends who hold the same values as you, and also friends who might challenge your preconceived values. Find friends who will support you through thick and thin; through every Netflix binge and failed test and quiz (which hopefully won’t happen, but it’s also ok if they do).

5. This is a really important one. Smith is special and wonderful, in part because of our housing system. In your house you are pretty much guaranteed to find a group of Smithies who will become your second family and support network and some of your best friends too!  They are there for you in good times and in bad. Often the whole house will show up to your performances and events! However, please know that if you do not feel comfortable in your house, you have the ability to change your living situation and house once at Smith. There is no shame in knowing yourself and what works for you!

6. It is okay not to be okay. Know that this time can be overwhelming, scary, and frightening for some people. However, your second semester self will be looking back in triumph and awe over how much you’ve grown since coming to Smith. Way to go!

6., Make a point, at least once a week, to Skype or call your family/parents. It is incredibly important to know that you have a support network there to comfort and help you, especially if this is the first time you have lived away from home. Maintain those connections with your friends back home too.

7. Know that your grades, first-semester, or all of your first year for that matter, are not indicative of your future success. Again, this is a transitional period when you are learning new ways to study and a whole system that likely doesn’t resemble anything you had to handle in high school. You might have to fail a couple of times before you get it right, which is nothing to be ashamed of.

8. Maintain a healthy and balanced life. It is essential that you remember that this is a time to figure out what works for you. Don’t come in with standards of perfection that you will have to kill yourself to maintain. Balance is key. Make sure to take time to go into town (try Starbucks for studying or the public library if Forbes is too stressful) and take time for yourself. Pursue a passion that you’ve never explored, go to Zumba, or find a club that interest you (HerCampus, perhaps!). Write in a journal or go get the most amazing muffins from the art library cafe (do it, please). Remember: This is your experience, not anybody else’s. You cultivate your life in Smith. Get into that film class, and dance class if you want, even if your parents/guardians advised you not to. This is the time to explore you! Take time to honor yourself and your interests, and live the life you’ve always wanted to live.

9. Check out all the libraries on campus, and find the one that fits you best. Choose a study spot that you can return to all the time- consistency is the key to productivity. But also try to break it up sometimes by going to the public library on Saturday or Starbucks on a weekday! Find what feels most comfortable to you and go for it.

10. Finally, you are in college, one of the most exciting, inspiring times of your life! Know that this first semester might be tough, difficult, even agonizing, but breathe, and take time to discover things that make you happy. You will for sure meet some of your best friends, eat some delicious food hopefully, (suggestions: art library cafe and Local Burger in Northampton), find your passion, and take that class you never thought of taking.

Please feel free to contact Lauren or Zoe for questions about Smith: lsanto@smith.edu or zhildenbrand@smith.edu. We would love to answer questions about our first-year experiences!

Rep Image

Zoe Hildenbrand is a freshman at Smith College, undecided major. She's a twin, feminist, blogger, and new writer at HerCampus:)
Liberty is the Cofounder of the Smith College branch of Her Campus and a member of the class of 2017. At Smith, Liberty is an economics and medieval studies double major and competes on Smith's equestrian team. Outside of school, she has a talent for sarcasm and baking, and lives for long walks on the beach with her dogs. Liberty hopes that she will one day shatter the glass ceiling and dares anyone to try to stop her.