Equality for All: The Chanel Feminist Runway at Paris Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Smith chapter.

At Paris Fashion Week, Chanel premiered its spring 2015 collection, with its finale staged as a feminist protest. Models such as Cara Delevingne sauntered down the runway to the song “We Belong,” a classic feminist anthem, and shouted feminist chants. Other models held signs reading “free the nipple” and “heforshe” while descending upon the final stretch of the runway. (Referring to Emma’s Watson poignant speech at the UN of course!)

The models’ hair and style were very reminiscent of the 1970s, Gloria Steinem, and the women of the Ms. Movement and legislation. They wore long, straight hair and large glasses. The collection consisted of tweed jumpsuits and soft-shouldered blazers with abstract patterning.

Karl Lagerfeld, the creative mind behind Chanel, has had his fair bit of controversy. He publicly disrespected the singer Adele, calling her “too fat.” The question remains if he is truly a feminist or was merely trying to garner attention from the press. Indeed, feminism has been a hot topic in the news recently with Emma’s Watson “He For She” speech and the release of Lena Dunham’s Not That Kind of Girl.

The very nature of fashion and feminism often seem to conflict. The Guardian criticized the Chanel “protest” saying, “Are fashion and feminism compatible?” Fashion is a very body conscious business. How is a model’s intellectual capacity honored while being photographed walking down a runway? 

Zoe Hildenbrand is a freshman at Smith College, undecided major. She's a twin, feminist, blogger, and new writer at HerCampus:)