Winter Essentials for the Northeastern College Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

As the weather gets colder, we find ourselves skimming Pinterest for the perfect winter look. Puffy coats and riding boots fill our fashion boards as we try to stock up before the icy weather really hits. If you go to school in the Northeast, you might be starting to feel some major envy towards your BFF who goes to school in the South. But, going to school in the South means missing out on the super cute, cozy outfits we all secretly wait for. Take advantage of the cold weather with these cute wardrobe staples for the Northeast Collegiette Girl

1. Bean Boots

Bean Boots are excellent because they’re high quality and great with wool socks. They’re water-proof, making them great for snow and not clunky so they won’t clash with your outfit. Bean boots are my go-to during colder months and much cuter than typical snow boots.

2. Puffy Coats

On our campus, puffy coats are nicknamed “Mom Coats” because they’re not super attractive. But they are helpful and definitely worth the splurge. During the colder months, it might be useful to retire that peacoat until it starts getting warmer and invest in a puffy coat. While it might not be the cutest thing in your closet, you’ll be thanking the Fashion Gods on your next walk to Antarctica…I mean class.

3. Wool Socks

As mentioned previously, wool socks look great with Bean Boots but are great for any other boot as well. They keep your feet cozy as you walk from class to class or for a study break downtown. Even if you’re hesitant, pick up a pair and just wear them around your dorm room (because we both know the heating system isn’t great) and see how comfy they are. If you’re anything like me, quality socks are a wardrobe staple and a necessity for a Northeast winter. 

4. Riding Boots

I wear my riding boots with almost every outfit throughout the winter and they’re the perfect blend of practical and cute. Riding boots go with virtually any outfit and are perfect for a chilly walk around campus. One of the best ways to wear them throughout the colder months is by wearing longer, heavier socks under them and letting them peek out of the top of the boot. It’s cute, and provides way more protection than athletic socks.

5. A Cute Travel Mug

There’s nothing better than a nice, hot cup of coffee or tea before class. Unfortunately, busy college students don’t always have that luxury. So, take your drink to go in a cute travel mug. There’s no reason you should miss out on your morning coffee, especially if it’s cold. Treat yo’ self every day with style and most importantly…coffee!

6. Leggings

Leggings are any girl’s favorite wardrobe essential. Leggings are one of the most versatile articles of clothing and can be worn well into the winter. Wear them with boots, socks, and those long thermal shirts. Although leggings aren’t that thick, they’re great for layering and way more comfortable than jeans. 

7. Rain Boots

I am a firm believer that a girl can never have too many boots. Rain boots are perfect as it gets a little bit warmer and all that beautiful snow turns to slush. Don’t sacrifice fashion when the outdoors aren’t all that pretty. And, rain boots are great even if it’s still snowing (automatic water-proof shoes are a blessing). Rain boots will carry you from fall to winter to spring. Versatile pieces are my favorite and this one never disappoints.

8. Texting Gloves

There’s nothing we love more than being in touch with our friends and family and it’s so annoying to have to take our gloves on and off as we use our phones. Luckily, the Fashions Gods have heard our prayers and have given us Texting Gloves. These gloves were made to be used with smartphones so we don’t have to take off our gloves every time we get a message. Besides, texting with cold fingers is annoying and so not worth it.  

A CT girl at heart but currently residing in the Green Mountain State. Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of HC SMCVT. I am currently a major in Media Studies, Journalism, and Digital Arts to be a journalist or PR representative but for now, a starving undergrad. Hobbies include working out, drinking green tea, and watching Netflix.