Why Your Vote Does Count

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

With about nineteen primaries left before the presidential election, people of eligible voting age should be flocking to the polls to cast their vote for the candidate of the much-anticipated 2016 Presidential Election. Unless you’ve been living around a rock, for the past nine months we have been witness to one of the most heated presidential elections our generation has seen. Candidates on polar opposites of the spectrum spend day after day lobbying for our votes. Yet, we’re not casting them.

According to United States Election Products, only 6%-49% of eligible voters are casting their votes per state in the 2016 primaries. While states such as Wisconsin and Ohio have seen incredibly high voter turnout, states such as Maine, Kansas, and Nevada have percentages at less than 10%. While primary voter rates are typically lower due to a multitude of circumstances, these rates are still not high enough.

Many young people do not see it as necessary or important to vote due to the stigma that “our vote doesn’t count.” In a country of millions, how could my vote determine who becomes president, right? Well, it does help. Think of it this way: not casting a vote is equivalent to casting a vote for the opposing candidate. Do you want that?

While many intend to vote in the November Presidential Election, it is just as important to vote in the remaining primaries. In voting in the primaries, you give your preferred candidate a greater chance of the making the ballot in November. Primaries typically attract more extreme, dedicated voters while the fall election attracts the moderate voters. Even if you cannot decide on a candidate, it is important to still make every effort to cast your vote to increase voter turnout as well as represent your political party (or lack there of).

Many states in the U.S. have tried to implement strategies to turn young voters away from the polls, such as requiring us to have a government issued I.D. in order to vote when some eligible voters may not have a driver’s license yet, and a college I.D. does not count. While this obviously deters many young voters, it is important to recognize that your voice does matter.

By voting, you exercise your political freedom and participate in something many people had to fight for. This presidential election seems to be incredibly contentious and many people, especially young voters, hold strong opinions on who they want in the White House. It is important to remember that a lot of issues debated in this election (i.e. women’s health, college education, LGBTQ rights) strike a cord with young college students so it is important to vote for the candidate that best represents those views.

With November nearing, there is still time to register for the presidential election and maybe even your state’s primary. Cast your vote and your voice come election time. Check out your state’s online website to learn how to register to vote. Trust me, you won’t regret it. 

A CT girl at heart but currently residing in the Green Mountain State. Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of HC SMCVT. I am currently a major in Media Studies, Journalism, and Digital Arts to be a journalist or PR representative but for now, a starving undergrad. Hobbies include working out, drinking green tea, and watching Netflix.