Election Hero Images?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Election Hero Images?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design

Why Voting Should Be Your “Thing”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

When I ask people who they plan on voting for in the presidential primaries, I get a lot of mixed responses. But most often, I get: “Um actually politics isn’t really my thing”. And while I understand that not everyone has the same interests and most certainly not the same viewpoints, politics is really the one thing that is impactful to everyone. Being an International Relations major, perhaps I have an inherently more politically-geared viewpoint on the world and that which surrounds us. I see it in every aspect of my life and while it is not always present in the most direct ways, it is there, directing what we can and cannot do. I get it – everyone has different interests and motivations: we are not all poli sci majors. Yet, you do not have to be a poli sci major to educate yourself about that which impacts your everyday life. I think we often fail to acknowledge that politics is the underlying force in everything – our jobs, our education, our taxes, our health, our lives. 

It can be disheartening to know that we are one of 327 million people in the U.S., but picture this: 44.37% of eligible voters did not vote in the presidential election in 2016. That is more than 1 million people who did not vote for the person who is capable of making the most influential decisions for our country and our people. Almost 50% of eligible voters in 2016 were millennials. That translates to a largely significant impact that can be made by the youth of our country. Understandably so, there can be a feeling of division amongst young voters and those who are running to represent us. The rhetoric is confusing. The statistics don’t quite feel right. Proposed reforms feel far-fetched or out of our realm of understanding or interest. I get it. But let’s make attempts to understand, at least the things which are of the utmost importance to us. Economic reforms impact our college tuition, taxes, job prospects and wages after graduation. For those of us who have been or are currently dependents of our parents in terms of healthcare, insurance and other entities, we must remember that those entities will become our own responsibilities in the coming years. And we are increasingly able to sway the votes for those who have the privilege of representing us. 

So – whatever is your “thing”, use that to fuel your decision. Climate change? Immigration reform? Gun control? Military spending and deployment? Legalizing weed? It’s as easy as doing a little research. In the world we live in now, which is so technologically adept, there are articles that articulate the viewpoints of candidates as well as those which list those views as easy-to-read and easier-to-digest bullet points. Find what interests you and vote for who gives you the best chances of bettered reform and action. Seriously, every vote counts. 

Check out the links below for examples of voting information for top Dem candidates:

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/candidates-views-on-the-issues/bernie-sanders/

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/candidates-views-on-the-issues/pete-buttigieg/

Hi! I'm Abby, an International Relations major with minors in French and Peace and Justice. I am passionate about working on social justice issues in my community so that is my main focus in school. I love to be outside in any ways possible and in my free time, I find most peace in writing, specifically poetry.
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.