Why Knitting Should Be Your New Hobby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

On my recent study abroad trip to Iceland and Greenland I embarked on the nerve-racking endeavor of knitting my first sweater.  Some background, I’d never knit before in my life, prior to this I had dabbled in some crocheting but nothing very complicated. Everyone on my program prior to seeing the beautiful Icelandic patterned sweaters, wanted to learn how to knit, and my first reaction was “not a chance”.  Eventually, I was convinced and we all headed out to the local yarn supply store in Reykjavik. A few friends and I split the cost of a pattern book, where we each picked a sweater we wanted to make. Then we all bought all of the different colored yarns, and the needles we would need.  I could not believe how many skeins of yarn one sweater requires, and also how scary the pattern I was supposed to follow looked. But, I reluctantly bought all of the supplies and all of us packed our bags and headed to our programs next destination, Nuuk Greenland.  

When we arrived in Nuuk it was truly a winter wonderland, complete with frigid winds and Narnia vibes (minus the trees).  Snow covered everything in sight with an enticing layer, as icebergs floated along the coastal edge. With it only being the third week of the trip, friendships were fresh and sparse.  Many, if not all of us were still attempting to find common ground with one another. Shortly after our arrival, everyone on our program was separated into three different cabins, each with an abundance of fur blankets, with beautiful views of the frigid ocean.  With the weather being as cold as it was, and activities to do sparse, we all decided to meet in one of the cabins and begin to make our sweaters!  

The cabins we stayed in. Nuuk Greenland, March 2019.

There was one experienced knitter in our group who quickly became the teacher for us all.  As we each began to cast on to our needles from the bottom of our sweaters, confusion quickly followed.  To be completely honest, I had to repeat this first step at least eight times over. But soon, everything changed for me and what came with this trial and error, and trial and error, and trial….and error, were lasting friendships and a sense of pride from what my hands could create.  

I quickly began to really understand the ropes (no pun intended), of what it takes to knit an Icelandic wool sweater.  Almost everyone in the group began to catch on as well! To say we were all instantly addicted, would be an understatement.  The group of us knitters would knit all day and all night, including: during class, during movies, during bus rides, etc.. And from this, we all became undeniably close with one another, by providing support through the struggles, and teaching each other the different skills, time and time again.  

It is now months prior to this trip, and I still knit everyday.  I have made three sweaters, two hats, two sets of mittens, and am midway through my fourth sweater!! I am reminded of the chilly days I had in Greenland whenever I pick up my needles, and think back to how I learned this new skill that I never thought I would have the opportunity to master.  I have since brought this skill back home with me, and my friends and I here at Saint Michael’s knit and crochet together a few times a week.  

Knitting has showed me what I can accomplish, and what comes from embarking on the challenge of learning a new skill.  For me, knitting has made me lasting friendships, and showed me the importance of working through failures. This is why I believe knitting should be the next hobby that you adopt.

.

Environmental warrior and aspiring Congress woman! Here to spread positivity and hit the world with realness. Always.
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.