The Warmest Welcome: Meet Shirley!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Shirley Sebo (Front, Left) is the first face everyone sees when they visit St. Mike’s and we’re glad this is the case! She is one of the kindest and most genuine people you will ever have the chance to talk to. If you don’t know Shirley, I strongly suggest that you head over to Hoehl Welcome Center and introduce yourself!  

Position at St. Mike’s: Welcome Center and Visitor Services Coordinator

Years at St. Mike’s: Two and a half 

Hometown: Boston, MA

Fun Fact: She has been skydiving!

HC: What is the best part of your job?

SS: I would say the best part of my job would have to be the people – the ones  I work with every day who are so caring and passionate about what they do -their dedication is inspiring; the ones who visit: the prospective students and their families from places near and far – this is such an exciting time in all their lives! And of course the SMC student tour guides, who are truly amazing. They are devoted and smart and funny and energetic and I look forward to seeing them every day.

HC: What is your favorite part about spending time with prospective students?

SS: My favorite prospective student moments are those times when applicants who are waiting to hear if they have been accepted come for a visit and their acceptance letter is still here, waiting to go out in the mail. Their admission counselor gets to hand them their ‘purple envelope’ and we get to see the excitement on their faces and their families’ faces when they first get the good news.

HC: If there was one SUPER COOL thing you could add to Hoehl Welcome Center, what would it be?

SS: Well, Hoehl is already SUPER COOL, but if I could add one thing, it would be an underground garage, with pedestrian access to both Hoehl and the View.

HC: What is something you think people would find surprising about you?

SS: I used to sing in a rock band. 

HC: If you were in charge of the show-list for a major TV channel for a day, what shows/movies would you air?

SS: Okay don’t judge! Here goes: Modern Family, Arrested Development, New Girl, and Gilmore Girls for TV shows, The Godfather (parts 1 and 2 only), Singin’ in the Rain, It’s a Wonderful Life, and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind… oh, and Jaws. Weird mix…what can I say.

HC: What is your all-time favorite song?

SS: Imagine, by John Lennon

HC: What do you love most about SMC?

SS: The great inclusive community.